Star Citizen’s Squadron 42 Is Finally “Feature Complete” After an 11-Year Journey, New Trailer Reveals

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Star Citizen has released a new trailer for Squadron 42, revealing that the single-player campaign mode of Cloud Imperium Games' long-gestating, crowd-funded space combat game is finally "feature complete." This standalone mode of Star Citizen, which features an original story and all-star cast that includes the likes of Gillian Anderson, Gary Oldman, and Mark Hamill, was originally announced as part of Star Citizen's original Kickstarter campaign, which launched many moons ago in 2012. Star Citizen has raised $616,603,553 and currently counts as many as 4,850,054 Star Citizens, according to numbers that can be found on the Robert Space Industries funding site at the time of this writing.

See full article...

Wasn't Squadron 42 only supposed to be the tip of the iceberg of the total Star Citizen plan?

How many years is this supposed to be under development?

Either way, I am going to abstain. I'd totally get addicted to a modern Privateer-inspired MMORPG, and I can't afford to become a (fake) professional space pilot.

I could be convinced to try the campaign mode though, but not until the release is final. I won't be doing any gofundme campaigns in exchange for ships.

It looks enticing and I paid for this over 13 years ago so I'll play it but as good as they are at creating cinematics I'm still not convinced they can make a good game.

Wasn't Squadron 42 only supposed to be the tip of the iceberg of the total Star Citizen plan?

Either way, I am going to abstain. I'd totally get addicted to a modern Privateer-inspired MMORPG, and I can't afford to become a (fake) professional space pilot.

I could be convinced to try the campaign mode though, but not until the release is final. I won't be doing any gofundme campaigns in exchange for ships.
Squadron 42 is just the single player campaign, Star Citizen is the multi-player persistent universe. Abstaining, at least for the first 6 months is still probably a good idea though Squadron 42 should be an overall safer bet than SC for those that have tendency to really get sucked into MMOs.

I got all the MMO privateer I ever needed with Eve Online. I might eventually check out squadron 42, but my days of burning 20+ hours / week on MMOs is over and likely never to return

I'll play it.. I payed my 275 back in 2013. So I won't be not claiming mine. But I backed for star citizen not squadron 42. And the software to run your own smaller star citizen PU.

Squadron 42 is the campaign mode which was supposed to be an integral part of the game, that they later spun off as a separate thing (basically shelved it). It was supposed to be released in 2014 and there were people on forums insisting it is ready they are just not showing it. That was when I still cared enough to argue with the zealots.

I'll play it.. I payed my 275 back in 2013. So I won't be not claiming mine. But I backed for star citizen not squadron 42. And the software to run your own smaller star citizen PU.
I backed for Squadron 42, as I couldn't care less about multiplayer even back then. I wrote it off as a complete loss, and I don't think a new trailer can convince me otherwise.

I backed Squadron 42 back when the whole Star Citizen idea was supposed to be a stretch goal and wasn't the focus of the Kickstarter. I think it cost me $45 I think. I'll go ahead and claim my copy when the time comes if it ever becomes a reality. I paid for it, why not play it?

Who doesn't want to see Col Blair back in action? I might bite if it ever ships and is in decent working condition (hahahahah)

Become a Patron!
Back