Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster Launches for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam in February 2024

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Nightdive Studios has announced that its remaster of Star Wars: Dark Forces will be released for the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam on February 28, 2024. According to the Steam listing for the game, which is still listed as "coming soon" at the time of this writing, fans of the classic FPS from LucasArts can expect a number of obvious improvements over the 1995 original with Kyle Katarn, including 4K/120 FPS visuals, high-resolution textures, enhanced lighting, and even support for modern gamepads. Nightdive Studios announced that it had been developing a remastered version of Star Wars: Dark Forces built on the KEX engine in August, sharing a reveal trailer that included a look at some of the game's updated cinematics.

See full article...

Not really impressed. Not much of a visual improvement. Animation looks too jerky.

Hopelessly waiting for a JK/ JKJA remaster in UE5.

Not really impressed. Not much of a visual improvement. Animation looks too jerky.
This is more about having a modern port for newer PCs and modern OSes, rather than remastering the game and making big improvements to it. Just an easier way to run an old game on much newer systems.

Hopelessly waiting for a JK/ JKJA remaster in UE5.
That sounds more like remakes, not remasters.

This is more about having a modern port for newer PCs and modern OSes, rather than remastering the game and making big improvements to it. Just an easier way to run an old game on much newer systems.
The reason I'm not playing these old games is not that I couldn't get them to run if I wanted to, it's that their game mechanics are too outdated. Porting them to a modern OS does not make them any more desirable to play.

There are some games where a remaster is enough, but most early FPS-es are not it. Remake or nothing.

Porting them to a modern OS does not make them any more desirable to play.
But for those who do still play these games, or want to start playing them, having modern ports can make life easier. Especially in cases where the community hasn't provided sourceports (or the sourceports are lacking).

But for those who do still play these games, or want to start playing them, having modern ports can make life easier. Especially in cases where the community hasn't provided sourceports (or the sourceports are lacking).
Old games come pre-packaged with dosbox on GOG, it takes one click to play them. And yes, Dark Forces is on there and it works on modern OS-es.

Old games come pre-packaged with dosbox on GOG, it takes one click to play them. And yes, Dark Forces is on there and it works on modern OS-es.
DOSBox is emulation. Native ports/sourceports are more preferable. For example, f*ck running Doom-1-engine games via DOSBox through Steam, I much prefer GZDoom and Zandronum.

Not to say the pre-packaged setup with DOSBox is terrible. I played Descent 1 that way.

Become a Patron!
Back