YouTube Is Doubling Down on Blocking Ad Blockers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Has YouTube simply been trolling people with its popup warnings that ask users to turn off their ad blockers and watch ads or pay for a YouTube Premium subscription? Sadly, it doesn't appear that way, as the company has now confirmed that it really does hate ad blockers and will be broadening its fight against uBlock and similar extensions, having told The Verge on Halloween yesterday that it is launching a "global effort" to get viewers to stop what is apparently a violation of the platform's terms of service. According to one of the publication's staffers, some users aren't even seeing the option to click away from the popup anymore, while r/YouTube is continuing its meltdown, with some users pointing out that even the FBI says ad blockers are a good thing. YouTube Premium is currently available with a one-month free trial, but those who want to keep its perks, including, the official ad-free experience, will need to pay $13.99/month.

See full article...

History is always doomed to repeat it self.

People moved away from cable for reasons of which one of them being too many commercials and not enough actual content.

The ads on YT are getting worse and worse with the duration and frequency and will soon meet the same fate as cable.

People will move to new platforms where less of their time is wasted looking at **** they don't care about.

Some of the YT channels I watch the creators actually have a segment inside their content that shows who's sponsoring their video and I watch them fully. Its usually the person who's presenting the content talking about the sponsor and they usually put their own twist on it and give their personal (at least seems more personal) opinions on it. Granted that personal opinion is from being paid to say so, but still. I don't skip those and just listen to what they say about whoever it is.

The ads on YT though, pop up all the time, sometimes you can skip them after ~5 seconds which of course I always do, but then other times you don't have the option. I've even seen ads with durations in the MINUTES. Not a minute, but minutes with an S as in more than 2+ minutes for a single ad. Who has time for that?

Very often when I'm trying to watch something on YT, usually someone explaining some tool, or "thing" I'm interested in buying and they start with too many ads, I'll just stop watching it and find the info I seek somewhere else.

The people insisting that one watches adds should have their day interupted every 15 min to watch adds and see how long they will last.

I started using an adblocker when adds were making my CPU run at 100% and beeing so flashy and loud it was ruining the internet experience.

I also do not want to watch a 30 sec add to be able to watch a 15 sec clip on youtube, that's just silly., also when watching a song and it getting interuppted midway trough for an add is just plain killing the mood, the creator ones I may let play if they are somewhat interesting, but having seen the same one 5+ times makes me skip them also.

I would prefer to be able to keep using youtube, but if they are truly enfprcing this I'm done with the platform.

Most of the channels I watch on Youtube have been demonetized. I'm not watchin adds on a channel unless they will benefit from it directly. I can't wait for Youtube to burn to the ground and I hope it takes the careers of everyone making these decisions with it.

I've left YouTube long ago. Left as in its a real rarity to use it for me. All creators should be leveraging their followers to move to other platforms, informing their followers about other plataforms. I think still not enough do to this. I still remember the waves of creator complaints about the routine free speech attacks, about the de boosting, about changes to how much money they get or whatever. Most are full of it, back then no real choices, like there might have been some services ( dont remember a name) with a comically bad
interface, catastrophic search tool, complete joke. Thinking about it, it might have been an op by Google.
Now theres no excuses. Theres rumble, which is the best one of the lot, but you have rockfin, odysee, kick, minds, to name a few off the bat. There's no excuses for users either, if you are on YouTube any significant amount of time, you are unquestionably supporting censorship, adblocker or not, because that is usage that should go to rumble, rockfin whatever, specially rumble since they have been fairly militant about freer speech ( no they'll never be perfect and thats fine)

The whole of google is a scam to sell ad spaces. With the recent allegations that they are replacing search phrases on the backend with ones that generate more paid ads means they truly became the opposite of don't be evil.

The article has since been removed probably due to pressure from google.

The whole of google is a scam to sell ad spaces. With the recent allegations that they are replacing search phrases on the backend with ones that generate more paid ads means they truly became the opposite of don't be evil.

The article has since been removed probably due to pressure from google.
Fan freaking tastic that article. I've moved on from Google, mostly due to it being a terrible search engine, after being great 10 plus years ago. Its just not a good search engine, problem is I think it contaminates other search engines somehow.
Anyway, dropped Google on merits, unlike YouTube which was mostly on principle, but I see it was the right choice on principle too. Jeez.

Fan freaking tastic that article. I've moved on from Google, mostly due to it being a terrible search engine, after being great 10 plus years ago. Its just not a good search engine, problem is I think it contaminates other search engines somehow.
Anyway, dropped Google on merits, unlike YouTube which was mostly on principle, but I see it was the right choice on principle too. Jeez.
I don't know of any viable alternatives. While google results has been getting lower and lower quality and less relevant consistently for at least 5 years, most of the time it is still better than say bing results. I want altavista back.

The only real advantage I see with Google is when searching in context with location. Of course this is due to maps, and the Google car that goes around. Otherwise nothing, just a billion ads and not particularly good search results.

The only real advantage I see with Google is when searching in context with location. Of course this is due to maps, and the Google car that goes around. Otherwise nothing, just a billion ads and not particularly good search results.
You kidding? That's one of the most annoying things about it and it is impossible to turn off. I don't want to search in context of my location 99% of the time. The best I can do is fake my location but that's convoluted and not as effective as it would be to simply search for the exact phrases I entered with no regard for geographic location. But as we see google is not even searching the phrase you entered anymore at all.

Last edited:
You kidding? That's one of the most annoying things about it and it is impossible to turn off. I don't want to search in context of my location 99% of the time. The best I can do is fake my location but that's convoluted and not as effective as it would be to simply search for the exact phrases I entered with no regard for geographic location. But as we see google is not even searching the phrase you entered anymore at all.
Yep, i get what you're saying, what I meant though is for like looking for a business nearby, hotel you forgot, what have you. Otherwise I see , and know what you mean. Duckduck go you can modify the region at will, its just a slider on the top left, and a pull down menu for countries. Sometimes this helps, sometimes you get the same results.

Honest to god google fu is a freaking thing. I have friends who struggle finding things in google where as I can bang out a search and find what I am looking for in relatively short order. Not sure why but that's just the way it is. I guess because I've been using the internet since before Netscape (that was it right? ) supported encryption.

Honest to god google fu is a freaking thing. I have friends who struggle finding things in google where as I can bang out a search and find what I am looking for in relatively short order.
This is true. However, if I try to use Siri or Alexa, I can't get her to do anything I want while my son can get them to do backflips.

Become a Patron!
Back