Ziply Launches 50 Gig Fiber Service for $900 a Month: “America’s Fastest Internet”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Ziply has announced that it is expanding its internet services with a new 50 Gig Fiber option. Available today across Ziply's Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana fiber service area, the service, which is being advertised as "America's fastest internet," delivers ludicrous speeds that are many times faster than the company's previous, 10 Gig tier, overshadowing competitors that include Google Fiber, which appears to tap out at 8 Gig. Ziply's 50 Gig Fiber plan costs $900/month, however, and customers are subject to a $600 installation fee. They will also need to provide their own router/switch, as well as any additional in-home hardware or wiring.

See full article...

Not gonna lie... would be neat to see a download that fast... but still not for that price... not to mention the enterprise grade hardware you would need to support that speed.

But if I'm banking more than 50k a month into investments... I could see going with this if it were available for my mansion. Rather than individual connections for each wing.

But really I just want to see what a 50 gig download from Steam can do. lol.

I'd love this, but I have absolutely no need for the bandwidth.

It would be tough to pay what would be mortgage money in some parts of the country for internet service, especially when you don't need it.

Still, really awesome.

Good for like a high end hotel catering to gamers or high bandwidth users. Yet the infrastructure cost to SUPPORT that speed would be very high.

Good for like a high end hotel catering to gamers or high bandwidth users. Yet the infrastructure cost to SUPPORT that speed would be very high.
Only if you had more than a few subscribers on the same line.

Only if you had more than a few subscribers on the same line.
No I mean a core switch and router capable of even supporting that 50 gig pipe. Not to mention feeding what 10 gig out to users access points that would then offer 1 gig floor specific AP's.

I don't think there is networking equipment that can handle a 50 gig pipe in one shot. Even backbone equipment does a lot of bonding and multiplexing to handle high bandwidth. I'd imaging a 50 gig service comes in on a bundle of fiber. From there you're going in to some kind of channel bonders that breaks it down in to chunks of more manageable bandwidth, like banks of 10 gig ports. From there you'd be breaking it down even further in to switches for 1 gig devices.

Service like would be good for hign end user volume locations. Convention centers, stadiums, large hotels, where you need to service thousands of people at once. And, yeah, the cost to do so would be quite high.

If the NUC is capable they have 100 gig connections and higher available. Not your standard fiber mind you.

But you can take that and break it down to multiple 10 or 40 gig fiber connections, from there out to switches for 2.5 gig pipes. And so on.

Sounds pretty cheap for anyone that can make money off of it.

Sounds pretty cheap for anyone that can make money off of it.
Yea if you had apartment complex's with more than a dozen units, you could profit on the raw cost. The real expense here is the IT infrastructure and hardware to support it correctly. You, at least today, can't just half *** it. You have to go all in and spend another 50k+ on hardware to do it right on your end.

Yea if you had apartment complex's with more than a dozen units, you could profit on the raw cost. The real expense here is the IT infrastructure and hardware to support it correctly. You, at least today, can't just half *** it. You have to go all in and spend another 50k+ on hardware to do it right on your end.

I wonder if that would be allowed under the terms of service though.

I have never read the whole contract, but I am pretty sure the ISP would be unhappy if a neighborhood got together and all shared one Broadband/TV plan and just ran their own fiber (or wifi) between the homes.

I wonder if that would be allowed under the terms of service though.

I have never read the whole contract, but I am pretty sure the ISP would be unhappy if a neighborhood got together and all shared one Broadband/TV plan and just ran their own fiber (or wifi) between the homes.
Easier to do in a complex style building. But yea... it would be iffy. For a 50 gig connection I can't seem them NOT expecting people to do that.

That's **** near enough bandwidth to hos 100 1 gig connections for realistic use.

Easier to do in a complex style building. But yea... it would be iffy. For a 50 gig connection I can't seem them NOT expecting people to do that.

That's **** near enough bandwidth to hos 100 1 gig connections for realistic use.
There are 48 houses in my little neighborhood. We'd all have dedicated 1 gig connections. For $18.75 each a month. LOL

Hell yeah I'd do that!

There are 48 houses in my little neighborhood. We'd all have dedicated 1 gig connections. For $18.75 each a month. LOL

Hell yeah I'd do that!
And here you see why some communities paid for their own fiber ring and connections to go in. There are communities with provided fiber at 10 gig to each home. And the bill is FAR lower than you would expect.

Hell yeah I'd do that!

I mean, you'd have some hardware and cable running costs as well, as well as ongoing management of firewalls and private subnets for each household. So that adds some time and cost and time is money, so it adds cost.

Then you'd also have to hunt down the 48 homes in your neighborhood to make sure they paid you...

So it is not QUITE as easy as it sounds, but still....

My brother showed me these recently, cuz he lives in Washington State and has been stuck with Comcast, so he relates to PA Gabe's experience (also read the posts below the comics for more context):

Ziply contacted my brother and let him know they are available in his area, so my brother is VERY excited about finally having some decent Internet access in WA.

I mean, you'd have some hardware and cable running costs as well, as well as ongoing management of firewalls and private subnets for each household. So that adds some time and cost and time is money, so it adds cost.

Then you'd also have to hunt down the 48 homes in your neighborhood to make sure they paid you...

So it is not QUITE as easy as it sounds, but still....
So you make an even $50 a month for gig. That's roughly $200 less than what Spectrum charges for gig in our neighborhood. If this ever became available in my area I'd jump on it, and get my entire neighborhood involved.

Become a Patron!
Back