Roman “der8auer” Hartung Pays $16,000 for ASUS ROG Matrix GeForce RTX 4090 Signed by NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It looks like that engineering job and YouTube channel is paying off pretty well for one of today's more recognizable overclockers.

See full article...

I get it why he would want that GPU. It's more of a memory of the time and effort he's spent in the industry for himself rather than a item he expects to double or triple in value. Also I suspect it could be commemorative of that time Nvidia was a Trillion dollars OR it's first Trillion.

I can't wait for Nvidia to launch it's enterprise AI HAAS platform. We all know it's coming. (Hardware As A Service.... in reality what companies like IBM have been doing with RS series and AS series and Mainframes for Decades.)

If I had that kind of money to throw around I'd rather give it to a charity and print out Jensen's signature on an inkjet.
Not saying that isn't a better use but you don't know what the guy does with his money outside of this purchase. Perhaps the amount he gives already far and exceeds the cost of a card.

I need to get a crew together to pull a heist and steal all of Jensen's leather jackets, and then sell them on the black market.

If I had that kind of money to throw around I'd rather give it to a charity and print out Jensen's signature on an inkjet.
Not saying that isn't a better use but you don't know what the guy does with his money outside of this purchase. Perhaps the amount he gives already far and exceeds the cost of a card.
One thing people don't seem to know about charities is that very little of the money you donate to them actually goes towards doing the work you want it to. Charities may use anywhere from 50 cents to 5 cents of every dollar donated to them for the actual purpose you gave them money for. There are some charities that strive to do better and use 75 cents or more of every dollar for their work but some charities have a ton of overhead. Without the research its hard to know and most people don't really do the leg work to find out ahead of time. Besides some people flat don't believe in giving to charity.

In short, your heart might be in the right place when you give to charities but it may not be as worthwhile as you might think.

I'd agree that spending $16,000 on a GPU that only typically MSRP's for $1,599 is pretty ****ing stupid but his success affords him the freedom to buy collectables like that. I don't personally believe that there are many collectable items in computing history and certainly even fewer that are worth any serious scratch but to each their own.

I actually have a collection of computer hardware myself, but I don't think any of it is worth much if any money.

Last edited:
One thing people don't seem to know about charities is that very little of the money you donate to them actually goes towards doing the work you want it to. Charities may use anywhere from 50 cents to 5 cents of every dollar donated to them for the actual purpose you gave them money for. There are some charities that strive to do better and use 75 cents or more of every dollar for their work but some charities have a ton of overhead. Without the research its hard to know and most people don't really do the leg work to find out ahead of time. Besides some people flat don't believe in giving to charity.
I wasn't trying to open a debate about charities and their operating costs. But keeping a charity going is still a better use of money than some leather jacket jockey's signature on a melty graphics card.
In short, your heart might be in the right place when you give to charities but it may not be as worthwhile as you might think.
I just said if you are going to throw away money you might as well throw it at a good cause.
I'd agree that spending $16,000 on a GPU that only typically MSRP's for $1,599 is pretty ****ing stupid but his success affords him the freedom to buy collectables like that. I don't personally believe that there are many collectable items in computing history and certainly even fewer that are worth any serious scratch but to each their own.

I actually have a collection of computer hardware myself, but I don't think any of it is worth much if any money.
I'm not having a dig at collecting stuff, that's a hobby. I just don't think Jensen's scribbling actually makes it worth 10x MSRP. I'd not pay 10% more for it.

And doing it as an investment is even worse. I hate the techbro types who descend on people's hobbies pretending to be fans, but are actually just looking for a get rich quick scheme, and cause prices to balloon until regular folk get priced out of the hobby. But that's entirely another tangent, I don't think Roman is a fake fan. I guess I'm just disappointed, I thought he had more sense than this.

I wasn't trying to open a debate about charities and their operating costs. But keeping a charity going is still a better use of money than some leather jacket jockey's signature on a melty graphics card.

I just said if you are going to throw away money you might as well throw it at a good cause.
Fair enough, I was merely pointing out that not all charities do what you think they do and not all of them use your money wisely.
I'm not having a dig at collecting stuff, that's a hobby. I just don't think Jensen's scribbling actually makes it worth 10x MSRP. I'd not pay 10% more for it.
I wouldn't either.
And doing it as an investment is even worse. I hate the techbro types who descend on people's hobbies pretending to be fans, but are actually just looking for a get rich quick scheme, and cause prices to balloon until regular folk get priced out of the hobby. But that's entirely another tangent, I don't think Roman is a fake fan. I guess I'm just disappointed, I thought he had more sense than this.
No, obviously he doesn't fit into that category. It's still a waste of money in my opinion but for wealthier people things are a lot different.

Become a Patron!
Back