JEDEC Publishes Groundbreaking CAMM2 Memory Module Standard: 57% Thinner than SODIMM, with Support for up to 128 GB of Memory on Just One Side

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
JEDEC has announced the publication of the JESD318: Compression Attached Memory Module (CAMM2) Common Standard, ushering in a potential replacement for SODIMM that offers many improvements over traditional laptop memory, including a thinner form factor that can pack in more memory, support for two memory channels via a single module, and even a solder-less design, enabling ease of memory upgrades.

See full article...

So, I'm all for a new RAM standard considering the signal issues DIMM's have, making many feel forced to solder ram directly to motherboards.

Is this an open standard though, or is this just Dell collecting license fees on every unit sold? All PC hardware standards need to be license free.

Also, is this just enterprise, or will we be seeing it in consumer parts?

All PC hardware standards need to be license free.
Uhh... I disagree here. Designers and the people that create unique hardware advancements deserve to reap the rewards for their creative work. BUT... I also agree that the fees shouldn't be abusive. Even a small amount like a Nickle a unit I think is fair.

AMD licenses x86 to Intel and others, and so on. Many MANY hardware pieces that we use in our systems and design and because of licenses allowing the use of technology and recreation. And to make sure the creators get some portion of that so they can be rewarded.

Sure yes we all know at some stage it's the corporation reaping the benefits. And yes there are many examples of open standards being fine. (RISC-V as an example, Linux, and others.).

I like open standards but I also want someone who makes an awesome tech to be rewarded for it... and as much as a pat on the back feels good... a fat check so you and your children and your children's children never have to work again... that feels better. ;)

Become a Patron!
Back