Wi-Fi 7 Will Be Available Before the End of Q1 2024, Wi-Fi Alliance Confirms

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Is Wi-Fi 6 fast enough? Apparently not, as the Wi-Fi Alliance has updated its official page for Wi-Fi Certified 7 (IEEE 802.11be), confirming that the next generation of wireless technology will be debuting very, very soon.

See full article...

I'm betting like cdrom drives back in the day they have some staged improvements in the channel to maximize income over time.

1.) I still find it annoying they dumbed down the Wifi naming scheme. Using the chapter reference from the 802.11 was fine. It actually meant something.

2.) So this "Wifi 7" I presume is artificially limited to Windows 11 to coerce people to upgrade, just like "Wifi 6E" was?

3.) I'm still on 802.11ac at home. I've had literally no reason to upgrade. Everything I care about performance on is hard wired using either fiber or copper. For everything else, ac speeds are more than sufficient. What is the selling point again?

2.) So this "Wifi 7" I presume is artificially limited to Windows 11 to coerce people to upgrade, just like "Wifi 6E" was?
My guess is "Yes" it will. Even though it will be backwards compatible with older standards (it has to, or older devices break), and there's no real compelling reason to upgrade your WiFi device to these standards - other than just to say you did.

My house is still running on 802.11N and that's still perfectly serviceable. Like Zath, anything that needs performance is wired - it's just random mobile devices and IoT crap that's on WiFi. A lot of my devices don't support anything past B/G, and they don't really need to for what they do.

My guess is "Yes" it will. Even though it will be backwards compatible with older standards (it has to, or older devices break), and there's no real compelling reason to upgrade your WiFi device to these standards - other than just to say you did.

My house is still running on 802.11N and that's still perfectly serviceable. Like Zath, anything that needs performance is wired - it's just random mobile devices and IoT crap that's on WiFi. A lot of my devices don't support anything past B/G, and they don't really need to for what they do.
So the argument here is... You run a homewifibg, a homewifi e or C or whatever, and maybe a homewifi7 network. (many routers support at least 2.) Then you join your devices to the standard they can use at the range you can fulfill.

Your doorbells, thermostats, Tablets, and whatnot you throw on the BG network. The stuff that's still wifi but you want better speed on you put on the other one.

Why? Because Wifi is a freaking HUB in network technology. Every device you have attached to a specific SID is effectively dividing your available bandwidth as long as it's online. There is no segregation of traffic or demand use stuff going on.

For Wifi to get REALLY good they need a way to have individual paths of traffic.. through I don't know... advanced beam forming... channel proliferation... something... so every device has a unique connection.. you know... like a network switch. THEN you will have great per device performance even on heavily populated SSID's.

For Wifi to get REALLY good they need a way to have individual paths of traffic.. through I don't know... advanced beam forming... channel proliferation... something... so every device has a unique connection.. you know... like a network switch. THEN you will have great per device performance even on heavily populated SSID's.
A good WiFi AP can already do this, provided is has sufficient width in the channel. Staring with N, a good AP can channel bond and allow devices to communicate on multiple channels simultaneously for higher throughput. MIMO was also added in N, allowing a device to utilize multiple antenna connections simultaneously. Beamforming was added in AC, again, for APs that support it.

Become a Patron!
Back