Samsung Plans to Launch 31.5″ UHD and 27″ QHD QD-OLED Gaming Monitors with Up to 360 Hz Refresh Rates Starting in 2024

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung has announced that it will begin mass producing 31.5-inch UHD (3840x2160) resolution QD-OLED panels beginning this month for new monitors, and not only that, the company is also planning a new 27-inch QHD QD-OLED gaming monitor with a 360 Hz refresh rate—a solid improvement over the 240 Hz OLED monitors that can be found on today's market.

See full article...

Since I like gaming at 4K I won't be able to take advantage of 240Hz, much less 360Hz.
Just because you can't put out 240 or 360 frames per second doesn't mean you won't benefit from it. Much less motion blur. It's something I've always hated about LCD, all the **** blur. Something we didn't have to put up with on CRT, and even plasma.

Just because you can't put out 240 or 360 frames per second doesn't mean you won't benefit from it. Much less motion blur. It's something I've always hated about LCD, all the **** blur. Something we didn't have to put up with on CRT, and even plasma.

If a game can't run at the refresh rate, then what's the point, you aren't getting the benefit /shrug

If a game can't run at the refresh rate, then what's the point, you aren't getting the benefit /shrug
Motion clarity in fast paced games, like shooters and driving games. You don't need to push the frames for the display to not turn in to a blurry mess. We weren't pushing 140+ FPS back in the day on CRT's, yet games looked smooth as all get out because CRT's didn't suffer from motion clarity issues. Same with TV's when LCD's first came out. Fast paced action scenes looked terrible, now TV's are pushing 120hz+ to smooth out the image. Movies are 24 FPS.

Motion clarity.

I must have a misunderstanding: If you aren't pushing the game at the same framerate of the refresh rate, then how are you getting that benefit of the increased motion clarity?

If you are running 60 FPS on a 120Hz panel, you aren't going to get that motion clarity you are speaking of. You'd need to be running at 120 FPS at 120Hz refresh.

The increased motion clarity comes from the fact of you being able to run your game at so much higher frame rate (matching the monitors refresh)

So increasing refresh rate needs to go hand in hand with framerate, or else there is no point for improved clarity

Or am I out to lunch

So much of this is e peen territory.
' audiophiles' have oxygen free gold clad copper wires, pc gamers have refresh rates and 8k rez in 6 inch screens. Hey if it makes you happy I am all for it.

I must have a misunderstanding: If you aren't pushing the game at the same framerate of the refresh rate, then how are you getting that benefit of the increased motion clarity?

If you are running 60 FPS on a 120Hz panel, you aren't going to get that motion clarity you are speaking of. You'd need to be running at 120 FPS at 120Hz refresh.

The increased motion clarity comes from the fact of you being able to run your game at so much higher frame rate (matching the monitors refresh)

So increasing refresh rate needs to go hand in hand with framerate, or else there is no point for improved clarity

Or am I out to lunch

Ever gamed on a high end Plasma? They run at 600hz. Even console gaming at 60 FPS or less looked smooth as silk.

When I talk about motion clarity I'm talking about the display's ability to not smear an image. Same concept when watching a fast paced action scene on an older LCD, everything would get blurry during those scenes because the display just couldn't refresh the screen fast enough. Even though the movie is 24 FPS.

Or am I out to lunch

I think I get what is being represented here.

I think the logic here is that... even if you're pushing 100 frames a second... the time it takes a pixel to refresh isn't any different than if you were pushing 360 frames a second. So when a pixel refreshes... even though it's only being sent new data every 100'th of a second. In reality it's refresh time is 1 360th of a second. Meaning that pixel state change happens almost 4 times as fast. This means motion blur of your eyes tracking the time it takes for pixels across the screen to refresh is crisper and closer to reality rather than seeing a blur that wouldn't exist otherwise.

BUT... is it measured for monitors even if you drive them at a lower refresh rate that they are forcing pixel response times at the enhanced levels? That's what I would need clarity on.

Become a Patron!
Back