Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series CPUs Contain a Hidden Fuse That Will Blow When Overclocked, but Doing So Won’t Void the Warranty, AMD Says

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD has shared a statement that can confirm its Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series processors feature a hidden fuse that will blow when they're overclocked, but users who are looking to push the performance of their new HEDT/workstation CPUs can probably rest easy, as that alone won't affect their warranties.

See full article...

So the cpu stops working? And you can get a new one?

So the cpu stops working? And you can get a new one?
If you blow the fuse overclockig then warranty is gone anything else it's fine. I get it. With the size of that processor chip it's probably fuse or fire. What would you rather have? Nuke your whole system, ram, storage all of it maybe start a bigger fire.. or pop a CPU. From an enterprise standpoint it's a hell of a lotcheaper than redoing a hedt and potential fire insurance claim.

It's still under warranty, if something else then then OC kills it that is.
I Misunderstood... let me re read that article. I guess I just misread that. To me a fuse blowing would cut off a critical path. I honestly thought it was like an extreme overclocking safety net. CPU is toast but everything else should be fine sort of thing.

The fuse sounds like it’s just a tell tale - like the “it turns blue when wet” thing in your cell phone, or the “it melts when the block is overheated” tag on an engine block

If Overclock then Fuse Blow / CPU still under Warranty / No other changes, CPU functions as normal

If ever the CPU fails AMD will then know you have Overclocked it, BUT if the overclocking did not make it fail, you are OK, it is under Warranty / Nothing changes

If however, the overclocking caused it to fail, and they know you overclocked it cause the fuse go bye bye, then I guess you are boned

Become a Patron!
Back