LG Unveils 2024 Soundbar Lineup, including S95TR, SG10TY, and S70TY Models with AI Room Calibration, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and Other Enhanced Features

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
LG has unveiled the S95TR, SG10TY, and S70TY, a new lineup of soundbars for 2024 from the company that is crafted to seamlessly complement its TVs, offering spatial sound technology, AI-based room calibration, and other enhanced features for a more immersive and elevated sound experience.

See full article...

I listened to a dozen or so top tier sound bars and they were all pretty meh. Not one of them could do Atmos worth a darn. And the simulated 3D sound was very weird.

Still better than TV speakers, but for the price of some of them it's better to get a HTIAB.

I listened to a dozen or so top tier sound bars and they were all pretty meh. Not one of them could do Atmos worth a darn. And the simulated 3D sound was very weird.

Still better than TV speakers, but for the price of some of them it's better to get a HTIAB.
Wow that's surprising. My Samsung from a few years ago works really well. Question did you demo them in a open floor plan store or was it in a home theater room? In the store mine didn't sound great just ok. At home using the closer ceilings and all it's great. At least for us.

Wow that's surprising. My Samsung from a few years ago works really well. Question did you demo them in a open floor plan store or was it in a home theater room? In the store mine didn't sound great just ok. At home using the closer ceilings and all it's great. At least for us.

In a theater room. Still sounded flat and boring. Plus I have 20' ceiling in my living room. Regardless, haven't heard a sound bar that was worth buying. They're superior to the TV's built in speakers, sure. But for $400-600 one of those HTIAB's from Onkyo or Yamaha sounds worlds better.

I run Klipsch Atmos, so doesn't matter either way.

Yea I went from an onkyo driving a older set of Atlantic technology thx certified setup and transitioned to the sound bar.

In a theater room. Still sounded flat and boring. Plus I have 20' ceiling in my living room. Regardless, haven't heard a sound bar that was worth buying. They're superior to the TV's built in speakers, sure. But for $400-600 one of those HTIAB's from Onkyo or Yamaha sounds worlds better.

I run Klipsch Atmos, so doesn't matter either way.
Depends on the room you're using.

20' ceilings - yeah, a sound bar is going to have trouble with that. Most are designed assuming the standard ceiling height of 8-10'.

In a "typical" room, an average soundbar will sound as good as your average HTIAB, and probably for a few dollars less. But that's a lot of averages in there.

Depends on the room you're using.

20' ceilings - yeah, a sound bar is going to have trouble with that. Most are designed assuming the standard ceiling height of 8-10'.

In a "typical" room, an average soundbar will sound as good as your average HTIAB, and probably for a few dollars less. But that's a lot of averages in there.
You're not getting the same depth of sound out of 1.5" - 2" speakers as you are even bookshelf speakers. Completely lack mid's. And having a sub trying to fill in those mids from a location that mids shouldn't be coming from sounds awkward.

Maybe it works for some people. I just didn't find any of them to be even remotely good.

You're not getting the same depth of sound out of 1.5" - 2" speakers as you are even bookshelf speakers. Completely lack mid's. And having a sub trying to fill in those mids from a location that mids shouldn't be coming from sounds awkward.

Maybe it works for some people. I just didn't find any of them to be even remotely good.
Those HTIAB setups don't really have that much of better speakers. 2.5" and 4.5" usually, sometimes 5" or 6", mounted usually in a plastic molded enclosure, although sometimes you get MDF. The real benefit is that you can position the speakers out around and make a better sound field. The receiver may have better inputs and a bit more flexibility with the settings - but that isn't a given. I'm going to say "HTIAB" differs from "Sound Bar" in that the HTIAB solution has a discrete receiver and you could upgrade the speakers later on fairly easily.

Here's a typical one, at about $550 - it has 2.5" drivers and a 8" sub. That's pretty normal for the cheaper (<$1,000) Home Theater in a Box setup

Here's a competing sound bar. It's basically the sound bar up front and 2 rear surround speakers with a sub. 3.5 x 2.5" in the sound bar up front, 3" in the rear with a 7" sub. No discrete receiver though, so this is what I would consider a sound bar solution. In fact, all the "in a box" systems at Crutchfield are this style until you jump up to some significant money ($2k+)

You need to step up to a discrete home theater setup to get real significant improvement, and you could piecemeal upgrade a HTIAB setup if you wanted to - but that's much more money, and you're in a entirely different class of setup there.

If it's just a TV in the bedroom or kitchen or something - I'd say a soundbar is more than enough. It's going to be drastically better than the built-in sound on any TV, it's going to be easy to install and configure, and it will be cheap. If you are looking to do a home theater. well, then it becomes a matter of budget - just like if you are looking at putting together a PC for someone. I've invested quite a bit of money in my setup over time (not audiophile money, but as much as I have any computer build), but that doesn't mean I would recommend that to everyone.

Become a Patron!
Back