Yamaha Launches 5-Disc CD Changer with PlayXChange: Enjoy Hours of Continuous Music, with the Ability to Change Four Discs While the Fifth Keeps Pl...

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Yamaha has released the CD-C603, a new CD player and CD changer that supports up to five compact discs for listeners who haven't parted with physical media yet.

See full article...

I had one of these in 1996. Could change 4 discs while 5th was playing, like on a turntable type arrangement. It was pretty much garbage but in the 90s those things were cool.

I was always jealous of the 100 CD “jukeboxes” that went into cars (and some home stereos)

I still have a Sony 5 disc changer from the 90's sitting in my office collecting dust. Still have the remote too!

I had a Sony disc changer back in 1996. I believe my model was the 3-disc version but I think that line also had a 5-disc version at one point (might have been a product refresh in '97-98 though). I recall that for a while these were the absolute coolest things to have, before PCs/internet really took off in the consumer space.

As cool as they were back then, I'm not sure what the point of seeking one today is. I do understand playing CDs physically, I do that myself, but these days my focus is on audio quality. I want the best true 16-bit DAC (R-2R or other multibit) and the best CD mechanism connected to the highest quality lowest noise Class A/AB amplifier circuit with as little SMPS PSUs in the chain as possible. And as far as the CD part of such a system is concerned, most of the really high quality stuff was made in the mid-1980s, like the Philips TDA1541 based players with the early zinc or solid aluminum mechanisms (heavy enough to wield as a weapon!). Unfortunately I don't think you can make a quality changer mechanism, I think it's a similar situation to the auto-reverse cassete decks, also a cool feature that ultimately came at the expense of sound quality.

I had a Technique CD changer that did the same thing back in 1993.

This is clearly a audiophile snake water type product. Can't blame Yamaha for going for the money grab here.

Snake water? Is that better or worse than snake oil? :LOL:

I've never had a cd changer, never even thought about it. I don't mind swapping CDs. What would be cool to have though is a jukebox for the 7" singles. That's a bit too much of a hassle to swap or flip after every song.

Snake water? Is that better or worse than snake oil? :LOL:

I've never had a cd changer, never even thought about it. I don't mind swapping CDs. What would be cool to have though is a jukebox for the 7" singles. That's a bit too much of a hassle to swap or flip after every song.
To be fair... I have no idea why I put snake water. Snake oil is clearly the term.

Become a Patron!
Back