Nintendo Switch 2 Will Cost $400 and Is an “Iteration Rather than a Revolution,” Analyst Predicts

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Nintendo Switch 2 will finally arrive this year, but it will cost $100 more than the current system, according to Dr. Serkan Toto, CEO of Kantan Games, an independent game industry consultancy focused on the Japanese market, who shared his predictions for 2024 as part of a new feature for GamesIndustry.biz.

See full article...

It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to go fat box console, there's two of them already that are simply too good.

Seems way too expensive. My understanding was that nintendo's popularity mainly comes from their more kid friendly games and lower price compared to the other two which appeals mostly to normie parents.

They need a true next-gen successor to the Switch. The hardware is already too weak as it is. Yeah yeah I know it's a portable system, but it's still their main system. It couldn't compete with 8th-gen consoles let alone 9th-gen ones, but it was considerably more powerful than the 7th-gen systems. Hopefully Switch 2 is at least considerably more powerful than the 8th-gen consoles, even if it doesn't match up to the 9th-gen consoles.

Seems way too expensive.
It really f*cking is. It better blow the doors off the Steam Deck.

lower price
Not their f*cking games. The cheapest Nintendo games ever get is $40, which is not much of a sale down from their normal $60 prices (also I forgot Zelda TotK launched at $70, which is outright laughable). A few rare places like Best Buy will sometimes sell Nintendo games for $30, but that's basically a miracle. Back in the Wii U days when certain games sold well for a long enough time, like Bayonetta 2 or DKC5: Tropical Freeze, they would release the games as part of a special "Nintendo Selects" program where the new price would be about $25. But then those same games got re-released on the Switch, where SURPRISE SURPRISE they were back to SIXTY F*CKING DOLLARS.

I'm too used to a world where games go on sale for 50% off just a few months after release, and within a year they can be on sale for as low as 5 bucks. That's the world of PC games and Sony+Microsoft consoles. Nintendo chooses to cover their eyes and ignore that world. Well they shouldn't be surprised when people are playing Zelda TotK at full 4K 60fps before it even launched on Switch, thanks to emulation. Nintendo shouldn't be surprised when people soft-mod their consoles and then don't pay jack sh1t for the games. If I could grab a Nintendo game that was a few years old for $10 instead of $40 that would be really f*cking helpful. But Nintendo can't be bothered, so the community steps in.

As for the system, well recently XBSS could be found for $150, I think it was. So that's really sad on Nintendo's part. At launch the Switch was already a ripoff (base PS4s were going for $100 less than the Switch back then). It's only a much bigger ripoff now.

Sorry, but bigger-budget games with vastly more content, features, and tech on the other platforms are selling for waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than Switch games. And superior hardware is also selling for cheaper. Now does that sound right to you?

They need a true next-gen successor to the Switch. The hardware is already too weak as it is. Yeah yeah I know it's a portable system, but it's still their main system. It couldn't compete with 8th-gen consoles let alone 9th-gen ones, but it was considerably more powerful than the 7th-gen systems. Hopefully Switch 2 is at least considerably more powerful than the 8th-gen consoles, even if it doesn't match up to the 9th-gen consoles.

It really f*cking is. It better blow the doors off the Steam Deck.

Not their f*cking games. The cheapest Nintendo games ever get is $40, which is not much of a sale down from their normal $60 prices (also I forgot Zelda TotK launched at $70, which is outright laughable). A few rare places like Best Buy will sometimes sell Nintendo games for $30, but that's basically a miracle. Back in the Wii U days when certain games sold well for a long enough time, like Bayonetta 2 or DKC5: Tropical Freeze, they would release the games as part of a special "Nintendo Selects" program where the new price would be about $25. But then those same games got re-released on the Switch, where SURPRISE SURPRISE they were back to SIXTY F*CKING DOLLARS.

I'm too used to a world where games go on sale for 50% off just a few months after release, and within a year they can be on sale for as low as 5 bucks. That's the world of PC games and Sony+Microsoft consoles. Nintendo chooses to cover their eyes and ignore that world. Well they shouldn't be surprised when people are playing Zelda TotK at full 4K 60fps before it even launched on Switch, thanks to emulation. Nintendo shouldn't be surprised when people soft-mod their consoles and then don't pay jack sh1t for the games. If I could grab a Nintendo game that was a few years old for $10 instead of $40 that would be really f*cking helpful. But Nintendo can't be bothered, so the community steps in.

As for the system, well recently XBSS could be found for $150, I think it was. So that's really sad on Nintendo's part. At launch the Switch was already a ripoff (base PS4s were going for $100 less than the Switch back then). It's only a much bigger ripoff now.

Sorry, but bigger-budget games with vastly more content, features, and tech on the other platforms are selling for waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than Switch games. And superior hardware is also selling for cheaper. Now does that sound right to you?
Its funny how it works for people. I love my switch, and don't see much negative issues with it. Why? Mostly because its a vastly different beast than my ps4. True about prices, specifically nintendo games. Thats a it is what it is.
Didn't know the second Zelda was out cracked and emulated before release that is interesting.
As far as switch remakes, they are usually improved significantly. Honestly I wouldn't buy remakes if I already played, whats the point? Remakes are worth whatever price if I haven't played it, maybe I will buy it, naybe I won't.
400$ sure, but honestly, inflation is inflating, so who knows? Sony and MS might need to raise prices on their consoles if inflation keeps inflating.

It’s all about the games- not the hardware or the tech or the gimmicks or even the price to an extent. And Nintendo has a knack for putting out good ones.

It’s all about the games- not the hardware or the tech or the gimmicks or even the price to an extent. And Nintendo has a knack for putting out good ones.
More than they they put out games and stand by their hardware. Meaning their games won't be ported to other platforms. If it's a Nintendo game it will be and forever only be for Nintendo devices. So if you want to play one of their games... or any of their games... you need a piece of their hardware. The way games used to be. Not saying it's the best choice but it's worked for Nintendo.

It also used to be if you had a kid that wanted to game you got them a nintendo. They worked, the games were generally not adult oriented. And you could let the kids play.

Now as long as you're buying Nintendo produced games you're still fine. But the ports of Diablo's and GTA's and everything else to them because makers just want to tap that market... It's kind of muddied the waters.

It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to go fat box console, there's two of them already that are simply too good.
I think it makes sense. It worked out great from 3rd-gen to 6th-gen. And Nintendo was "simply too good" at that stuff well before Microsoft and Sony even got into the video game console market. After 6th-gen Nintendo lost their f*cking minds. They even said they don't like to see what others in the industry are doing, so they fell behind on game development standards and practices, and were late to adopt stuff like online support, and when they did adopt such things they did a worse job at it. Now they are content to just exist off to the side in their own little space. They don't give a f*ck as long as they are still profitable.

Indeed that is true. The problem is that Nintendo used to have very powerful systems, at times even the most powerful system for the generation, and the hardware wasn't holding back the design of their games, but now that is no longer true. SNES was the most powerful 4th-gen system. Gamecube was the 2nd most powerful 6th-gen system. N64 was the most powerful 5th-gen system, even though it did have some shortcomings compared to the competition (for example, N64 couldn't draw as many polygons as PS1). I miss Nintendo having access to powerful hardware, and their games taking advantage of such hardware.

I love my switch, and don't see much negative issues with it.
As do I, but the weak hardware is quite the sore point. As a successor to the 3DS it worked out pretty well I guess, but as a successor to the Wii U, not so much. I've put in good time with all Nintendo handhelds, starting with the original Game Boy in 1989 (and I've played a few Game & Watches too). My Switch sees some decent play-time each year too (although almost never in handheld mode).

As far as switch remakes, they are usually improved significantly.
Those aren't remakes. They are simply ports to the newer-gen hardware. Not even really remasters. And I wouldn't call the improvements significant. A lot of Wii U games ran at 720p so now they run at 1080p on Switch. Some games like Bayonettas 2 got framerate improvements (Bayo2 was already a 60fps game, but on Switch there are less framerate drops). DKC:TF was re-balanced to be more fair (the original Wii U version was too challenging, though that didn't stop my brother and I from going through the game co-op). Super Mario 3D World included a new separate adventure called Bowser's Fury when it was brought to Switch. These are just a few examples. So yeah the Switch ports of Wii U games do get some small additions and improvements, but nothing that is worth charging full price for the games again. The fact of the matter is that a lot of those games are old, and should NOT be sold for anywhere near full price, even when ported to Switch. The real reason Nintendo ported a lot of their Wii U games to Switch is cuz Wii U was a failed system, and those games got a new lease on their sales lives on Switch. Mario Kart 8 was already quite old by the time it came to Switch, but the Switch port remains the #1 selling game on Switch. It couldn't find its audience on Wii U, cuz no one had a f*cking Wii U. A couple years ago or so, I was lucky enough to pay "only" $30 for New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (the Switch port of the 4th NSMB game which originally came out on Wii U), thanks to a nice sale from Best Buy. But the game is still an old game from 2012, and honestly the normal price should be about $30. I should have only had to pay maybe $10 for it on sale.

You're right though, the newer ports of older games are just for those people who have not already played the original versions. But some of us still wanna double-dip anyways. What stops me though are my save files. If my save files are stuck on Wii U then it does me no good to get the Switch versions (in some cases I've replayed through entire games again just to have newer save data on the Switch). I got that problem on other platforms too. My HZD and GoW4 save data are on my PS4, but I wish I could transfer that data to PC and use the PC versions from now on. If Ghost of Tsushima finally comes out on PC, I'll still be stuck playing through the DLC on console, because that's where I played through the main game, so that's where my save data is. I'm happy about how prevalent cloud saves are these days, but one thing I really want is to be able to transfer my saves to different versions of the game on completely different platforms. The closest I've seen are games like Witcher 3, where you can use the same save data on all platforms including Switch, or games that fall under Microsoft's XPA (Xbox Play Anywhere) label, with cross-buy (buy one copy and use it on both 8th-gen/9th-gen Xbox consoles and PC) and cross-saves (use the same save data on PC or 8th/9th-gen Xbox consoles). Of course that involves having to buy a game through the Microsoft/Xbox/Windows/whatever store, rather than somewhere like Steam or GOG. And that means having to deal with UWP sh1t, which I can't stand. But still, props to Microsoft for at least offering cross-saves in some manner.

Meaning their games won't be ported to other platforms.
Which is a d4mn shame. I've often wanted to play native PC versions of Nintendo games. Back during 7th-gen I was thinking about how awesome a 4P co-op Star Fox game would have been, and X360 would have been the perfect system for that (well except for needing XBLGold to play online). Now with Switch people are getting superior experiences via emulation. Zelda TotK can't even hit full 1080p on the hardware, and the framerate is 30fps at best, and often drops below. None of that is an issue on PC, and there are also mods to tweak and improve the visuals further. I saw the game running on an LG C2, and it was glorious compared to the native hardware. This is far from the only example. There are a ton of Switch games that look, run, and play way better on PC via emulation. Why pay money for a worse experience? And if you are concerned about supporting the devs, well buy the game, but still play it on PC. But having a game be stuck on one weak platform just isn't very ideal. I'm glad Switch emulation gives people a way outta that.

So if you want to play one of their games... or any of their games... you need a piece of their hardware. The way games used to be.
I never much cared for hardware exclusives. I should be able to play any game on the platform of my choice, and I'm usually gonna choose the one with the best hardware, which is PC. From 2nd-gen to 8th-gen I played by their rules. But I think 9th-gen is gonna be the first generation where I finally feel I won't need a console. Microsoft games always come out on PC these days, and now the Sony games come to PC too. Emulation has Switch covered, and I hope for the same for Switch's successor. At the very least I tend to not mind buying console hardware as much if I can mod the systems. Soft-modding really set the DS, 3DS, and Wii free, and helped bring about their true potential. I might do the same with my Wii U (though I have no real reason to do so), and I'll be looking to do the same with my Switch at some point (luckily I have a first-year Switch with the unpatchable hardware Tegra flaw that makes soft-modding possible). But it would be nice if I could just play all those games natively on PC.

If Nintendo had some serious-@ss hardware then I wouldn't mind their games being stuck on their systems as much. But when the Switch is the best they got, and I have to deal with sh1t like low-framerate objects in the near background, pixel shimmering, and very obvious LoD changes right in front of my face, it can really take me outta the experience. All 3 of the examples I just gave drove me mad when I was playing through Super Mario Odyssey. That being said, I still think they made the right choice in targetting 60fps for that game, which they do with a lot of their games. On a weak system like the Switch that means even more compromises, but hey at least the games play great at the higher framerates. But for their 30fps games, some of those games like Kirby Star Allies are games that should most definitely be 60fps (especially given how they look), and it's sad that the hardware isn't capable of it.

3rd-party games would work out A LOT better if the Nintendo had a system that was at least as powerful as last-gen's hardware, if not this gen's. Some 8th-gen games were ported to Switch, and while they didn't work out too well, as a programming and development exercise some of those ports were nothing short of astonishing. It was amazing devs even got those games working on the Switch. But there were many more games that simply could not be ported to Switch no matter how much you butchered them. The gulf between the hardware was too wide. Again, I am reminded of the older gens like 4, 5, and 6, where you could main a Nintendo console and got to enjoy not just the Nintendo first-party games, but 3rd-party games too. Games on Gamecube generally look and ran better than games on the weaker PS2 hardware, and before I had an original Xbox I prefered to buy 3rd-party games on the Gamecube cuz of the controller (for example, the games in the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy). It would be nice to get back to a level where Nintendo and their hardware are the equal of Microsoft and Sony. That ship has long since sailed though.

Last edited:
Now does that sound right to you?
Sounds like Nintendo to me. I think they are the worst, I really don't get it why they are so popular. Sub-par games, sub-par hardware and zero respect for their fans. If I ever was a Nintendo fan I'd have turned away long ago due to their awful ways of suing anyone for anything.

Sounds like Nintendo to me.
Unfortunately it does.

zero respect for their fans
That is 100% truth. Especially the fans who built them up during the 3rd-to-6th-gen days.

If I ever was a Nintendo fan I'd have turned away long ago due to their awful ways of suing anyone for anything.
The last Nintendo home console I actually bought for myself was Gamecube. All the ones after that were gifts. As for handheld consoles, the last one I purchased for myself was a DS Lite, and that's because I immediately modded it (well technically it's not modding when you use a card like the R4 to boot into custom environments, cuz the system itself is still completely stock, and if you remove the boot card then it functions like normal). It was stolen from me when I got robbed one day in 2010, but I ended up buying another one. My younger brother claims that since Nintendo got to me when I was a kid, they've brainwashed me, and that despite all my complaining I still seem to buy their sh1t. Like I bought Super Mario 3D All-Stars (a collection for Switch that includes a crappy port of Super Mario 64, a crappy port of Super Mario Sunshine, and a good port of Super Mario Galaxy, which is the worst of all the 3D Mario games, and the only one to get a direct sequel (which is missing from this collection), which was the ONE Mario game we did NOT want a sequel to), despite knowing it was crap. That is something I VERY much regret doing. But on the whole my spending with Nintendo has gone down drastically over the years. I think I am finally free. I certainly have no plans to get a Switch successor, I can tell you that. On Switch I've been lucky enough to borrow most of the games I wanna play (and most of the ones I own were - you guessed it - gifts).

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back