Newegg Launches New Refurbishment Program, Offering Top Pre-Owned Products at Competitive Prices

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Newegg has announced the launch of Newegg Refreshed, a new refurbishment program that allows customers to pick up pre-owned products at what the company has described as competitive prices.

See full article...

And this is what the trade in on video cards is doing.

I mean, having more options for used parts is not a bad thing.

For me, parts, unless I think they can sell for $300 or more, just go into my spare parts bin, and age there until they are nothing but e-waste. Maybe some day I'll use it, maybe not. With how much effort it is to sell something, and the fees the likes of Paypal and eBay take, it just isn't worth my effort unless I can at least sell something for ~$300.

But I bet the "trade in" values are going to be equally insulting to what Game Stop used to offer.

I will often buy used Enterprise stuff from well rated recyclers on eBay, but knowing as much as I do about the state of education and care among consumers/gamers I just don't buy used consumer parts.

Once years ago when I had greater faith in humanity, I bought a used GeForce GTX 460 (768MB version). I didn't care. It was cheap, and I needed something to hold me over, as my current GPU had had an accident.

The GPU with no other packing material arrived in a plastic shopping bag inside a box. No other packaging, no other padding. Shockingly it actually worked, and held me over for a month or so until I bought my GeForce GTX 680 at launch.

But you never know what these parts have gone through. Physical damage is at least visible. ESD is usually invisible. The part could have ESD damage to the point where it is still working right now, but is a ticking time bomb (this is very common, in fact most ESD doesn't kill stuff, it just degrades it but increases its risk of failing later by orders of magnitude.

Add in people re-pasting and damaging things under the cooler, volt mods, you name it. Nope, I will never buy a used consumer part.

Enterprise parts - however - are great. I'm often buying decommed server NIC's, HBA's and CPU's.

I just found a good deal on two Intel XL710-QDA2 dual QSFP+ port 40 gig NIC's. These will be an excellent secondary direct link to the NAS.

(I guess I am now committed to not being able to upgrade the Threadripper motehrboard until I can find something with 16x-8x capability at the same time :p )

Last edited:
At least they're now up front about selling reused items. In the past it was a guess whether you'd get a new or reused item when you ordered new. I've pretty much stopped ordering from NewEgg unless they're the last resort choice and I need it soon enough.

At least they're now up front about selling reused items. In the past it was a guess whether you'd get a new or reused item when you ordered new. I've pretty much stopped ordering from NewEgg unless they're the last resort choice and I need it soon enough.
I'll have Microcenter match new egg. Now that everyone has to charge sales tax with Microcenters competitive pricing and relative ease of getting to for me... I'll go there. Or Amazon over Newegg.

I did not realize this had been a problem. I've never encountered it, but I have not ordered a lot from them as of late.

I used to occasionally order "open box" discounts through them, but then I got what I was expecting.

Has this been from Newegg themselves or the "marketplace"?

Last time I ordered a motherboard from Newegg - I got a “refurbished” one despite ordering new - it had the original box and looked new from the outside, but inside it was just the motherboard in a static bag - nothing else. Support was good about returning it, but it shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

This was … 3-4 yrs ago?

I did not realize this had been a problem. I've never encountered it, but I have not ordered a lot from them as of late.

I used to occasionally order "open box" discounts through them, but then I got what I was expecting.

Has this been from Newegg themselves or the "marketplace"?
There was a big stink last year about Newegg getting busted selling broken used parts.

I did not realize this had been a problem.
There was a big stink last year about Newegg getting busted selling broken used parts.
Gamers Nexus called them out on it if I recall.

It was less than a year ago, but I barely remember the details. So I might skim these again. Like most people, I stopped using Newegg at least several years ago. Sketchy Chinese ownership, one or two holiday seasons they refused returns for ALL items, and just a lot of other generally sketchy anti-consumer behavior. Their customer service was a pain in the @ss to deal with too. I remember building a PC in 2014 and finding cheaper prices for a lot of components on Amazon, which had me canceling and aborting Newegg orders. Newegg turned to sh1t before they even started allowing 3rd-party sellers. I live near a Micro Center (which ironically used to be a CompUSA) and between that and Amazon, I'm usually well-covered. I miss the old-school Newegg from the 2000s (which I think was formed from the remnants of Egghead?), back when their shipping was so fast, if your package arrived on time it was considered late, since they usually came early.

I've pretty much stopped ordering from NewEgg unless they're the last resort choice and I need it soon enough.
Same here, basically.

Last edited:

It was less than a year ago, but I barely remember the details. So I might skim these again. Like most people, I stopped using Newegg at least several years ago. Sketchy Chinese ownership, one or two holiday seasons they refused returns for ALL items, and just a lot of other generally sketchy anti-consumer behavior. Their customer service was a pain in the @ss to deal with too. I remember building a PC in 2014 and finding cheaper prices for a lot of components on Amazon, which had me canceling and aborting Newegg orders. Newegg turned to sh1t before they even started allowing 3rd-party sellers. I live near a Micro Center (which ironically used to be a CompUSA) and between that and Amazon, I'm usually well-covered. I miss the old-school Newegg from the 2000s (which I think was formed from the remnants of Egghead?), back when their shipping was so fast, if you arrived on time it was considered late, since they usually came early.

Same here, basically.

Thanks for the links. I'll have to view those when I have time.

It will be interesting to see if this was Newegg themselves or if it was 3rd party sellers.

It's kind of a shame how far Newegg has fallen from being pretty much the best source for any PC part 20+ years ago.

I buy things from them here and there, but nothing major anymore. Their shipping is just below par compared to others is the main reason I stopped shopping with them.

I buy things from them here and there, but nothing major anymore. Their shipping is just below par compared to others is the main reason I stopped shopping with them.

I tend to showroom their store.

They still have the best by far system of categories and filters based on product specs.

But usually once I find what I want it winds up being cheaper, faster or more convenient to get it on Amazon.

Become a Patron!
Back