Rumor: PS6 Launching in 2028 with AMD Chip and Highest Performance of Any Gaming Console Ever

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
New rumors for the inevitable PlayStation 6 have arrived courtesy of RedGamingTech's Paul Eccleston, who claims to have heard from sources that Sony is partnering with AMD again to develop what is said to be the world's most powerful gaming console ever.

See full article...

I’d hope we can figure out something faster by 2028

Also pretty well guarantees a Pro bump later this year or early next if the rumor is true

I still think that Series S was a good idea, but they dropped the ball on the specs. It should've been able to perform on par with a Series X at 1080/1440p, but it didn't. Or, gone for the hybrid approach ala Switch (and what is rumored for the next gen Xbox).

Still, I'm hoping Sony goes balls out for their next console. The PS4/PS5 hardware were kinda boring (especially how similar they were to MS' hardware), I'd enjoy seeing Sony go all out like they used to do during the PS2 (Emotion Engine) and PS3 (Cell) days.

Still, I'm hoping Sony goes balls out for their next console. The PS4/PS5 hardware were kinda boring (especially how similar they were to MS' hardware), I'd enjoy seeing Sony go all out like they used to do during the PS2 (Emotion Engine) and PS3 (Cell) days.
Those days are gone and never coming back, and good riddance imo. SONY has tasted the value in making timed exclusives instead of full on single platform titles. Making the hardware unique prevents them from easily releasing games on other platforms.

It's a win - win situation. I don't have to buy consoles and fool around with a controller to play every game I wish, and they make more profit on games by releasing them for PC or maybe even XBOX.

How will Sony have the most powerful console ever? By waiting until everyone else as released their next gen console and one upping them.

This isn't 'new tech' it's more faster cores with better IPC and more power.

Those days are gone and never coming back, and good riddance imo. SONY has tasted the value in making timed exclusives instead of full on single platform titles. Making the hardware unique prevents them from easily releasing games on other platforms.
I disagree.

They have to make the platform unique - maybe not necessarily the hardware. But that part is essential to the business model.

You sell it once on the console as a timed exclusive. You give it 6 months or a year, release it on the other consoles, get another big bump in sales. Then in another year or so you put it out on PC, another bump in sales... then in 3 or so more years, you re-release a remaster edition for yet another sales bump.

You have to have some distinction in the platforms - you don't want it to be PS3 level different at the hardware stage, but it has to be different enough that Joe Pirate can't get your Console edition just running on the PC without a significant amount of effort. And you don't want your console API to be identical to your competition's....

I disagree.

They have to make the platform unique - maybe not necessarily the hardware. But that part is essential to the business model.

You sell it once on the console as a timed exclusive. You give it 6 months or a year, release it on the other consoles, get another big bump in sales. Then in another year or so you put it out on PC, another bump in sales... then in 3 or so more years, you re-release a remaster edition for yet another sales bump.

You have to have some distinction in the platforms - you don't want it to be PS3 level different at the hardware stage, but it has to be different enough that Joe Pirate can't get your Console edition just running on the PC without a significant amount of effort. And you don't want your console API to be identical to your competition's....
It's not like you can run PS4 or PS5 games on PC currently either, so I don't see your point there.
And I'm fine with there being an early PS5/6 release, then a remastered or complete edition for PC, it saves me money and I get a better game than the first release version.

It's not like you can run PS4 or PS5 games on PC currently either, so I don't see your point there.
Right. That is part of my point. Despite the fact that it is basically running on PC hardware, it's still an entirely different platform and the same software won't just run on the Xbox (which is again, almost the same hardware) or PC. It doesn't really have anything to do with the hardware at all.

There's the distinction between the platforms, and that, combined with some time, allows Sony to milk the releases to maximum effect.

Right. That is part of my point. Despite the fact that it is basically running on PC hardware, it's still an entirely different platform and the same software won't just run on the Xbox (which is again, almost the same hardware) or PC. It doesn't really have anything to do with the hardware at all.

There's the distinction between the platforms, and that, combined with some time, allows Sony to milk the releases to maximum effect.
Do I have to cite the post I was reacting to here too? It said Sony should go back to the times when their consoles were vastly different in hardware. I said those days are gone and good riddance, then you disagreed for some reason.

Are you having a bad day? :D

Well gosh ... how underwhelming would it be to produce the next PlayStation that was worse than the previous model? Producing a better "next generation" machine seems to be kind of the point, isn't it?
I had similar thoughts. Yeah, in 2028 whatever console they release SHOULD be more powerful than any of its predecessors.

Become a Patron!
Back