Intel Foundry Wants to Build Chips for Everyone, including NVIDIA and AMD

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel officially launched Intel Foundry yesterday, its new systems foundry "for the AI era," and on the heels of that announcement comes new statements from Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger that can confirm the semiconductor manufacturer is open to making chips for everyone—including some of Intel's biggest competitors.

See full article...

Sounds like this foundry must be in a country with less than good ip protection laws.

Sounds like Intel is struggling (well that's no surprise, they have had a rough past 10 years or so) and this is the stop gap before they just spin off their foundry business all together. I mean, they are spinning it off in name and branding, it's just one small step away from being it's own corporate entity after this.

As to locations:
Code:
Intel has 15 wafer fabs in production worldwide at 10 locations. Approximately half of our workforce handles production or production services.

Our fab production sites in the United States include:

Chandler, Arizona
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Hillsboro, Oregon

Fab production sites outside the United States include:

Leixlip, Ireland
Jerusalem, Israel
Kiryat Gat, Israel

We have one testing facility and one assembly development facility in the United States. The remainder assembly and test sites are outside the United States:

Shanghai, China
Chengdu, China
San Jose, Costa Rica
Kulim, Malaysia
Penang, Malaysia
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I recall hearing rumors about this for years, but its the first time I've hear it from the horse mouth.

IIRC nvidia went with IBM at one time for its geforce G80 I think, so I can see nvidia condering Intel.

Become a Patron!
Back