Yuzu Settles Nintendo Switch Emulator Lawsuit for $2.4 Million, Development and Website to Cease

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The creators of Yuzu, one of the world's most popular Nintendo Switch emulators, has agreed to pay $2.4 million to settle a lawsuit that Nintendo filed against them earlier this month that alleged the emulator played a major role in promoting the piracy of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, with one million copies downloaded and played ahead of its official release.

See full article...

My friend managed to grab the latest build and the source code before the github page went down.

So the dev made 2.4 million off of this or more?

Hate to see this
One of my friends managed to grab the final build and source code minutes before it was taken down. Of course countless others across the world have it, and my brother heard that supposedly a fork of Yuzu is already being worked on. I also heard (but haven't verified) that the 3DS emulator Citra was also taken down. But yeah Yuzu's main issue is that it was sorta paywalled.

In the end, like this guy says, and like @MadMummy76 and I make sure people never forget, "Nintendo is always going to be Nintendo". Their trademark is no longer making video games or game consoles. It's suing people.

I have an older build on my Steam Deck - was fun to poke around with, although I hate sailing the high seas to make anything work.

I still have an older build, I'd think the problems were Yuzu breaking encription but even worse allowing rom sharing on its discord server. You can claim emulation and decription is "legal", but rom sharing probably not.

Well one of the biggest problems was that Yuzu was effectively behind a Patreon paywall. But yyeeaahh ROM sharing on the Discord server, that's a huuuuuge no-no.

Become a Patron!
Back