14th Gen Intel Core i9-14900KS with 6.2 GHz Boost Clock Is Priced at $749: Micro Center

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Core i9-14900KS, Intel's next Special Edition CPU, will be priced at $740 when it's released, according to a search result that points to Micro Center's listing for the upcoming processor.

See full article...

That doesn't surprise me. Right in line with their top sku these days. I remember when the top sku for an intel consumer cpu was right at 1k.

That doesn't surprise me. Right in line with their top sku these days. I remember when the top sku for an intel consumer cpu was right at 1k.
People forget that AMD's FX-51 and FX-53 processors were right at $1,000 as well. But yes, we've had it pretty easy with the mainstream segment in terms of CPU prices. It's motherboards and GPU's that are absolutely out of control in terms of pricing.

I also dare say that for the vast majority of users a top end CPU is just spending money to spend money. When a 7800X3d is a gaming and 16 thread powerhouse for most.

People forget that AMD's FX-51 and FX-53 processors were right at $1,000 as well. But yes, we've had it pretty easy with the mainstream segment in terms of CPU prices. It's motherboards and GPU's that are absolutely out of control in terms of pricing.
With most useful / attainable overclocking basically being wrung out of the CPUs from the fab and very little headroom left for enthusiasts - I'm not seeing the real need for spending up on boards. Sure, get a decent B650/X670/Z790 board, but those are hovering closer to US$200 lately too.

I think it's GPUs that are really busting budgets, though at least you tend to get what you pay for there.

Sure, get a decent B650/X670/Z790 board, but those are hovering closer to US$200 lately too.
Not really. I can't think of any board I'd buy for less than $300 or so. There are a lot of things about the cheaper boards that piss me off.
I think it's GPUs that are really busting budgets, though at least you tend to get what you pay for there.
Agreed.

Not really. I can't think of any board I'd buy for less than $300 or so. There are a lot of things about the cheaper boards that piss me off.
What we'd buy and what'll actually work aren't the same thing though, IMO. I'd say that I'm around the US$300 mark for AM5; there currently aren't any Intel boards that I'd be interested in given how Intel set up the lanes for Z790.

Become a Patron!
Back