NVIDIA Sued by Three Book Authors over AI Use of Copyrighted Works

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA is being sued by three authors who allege that the company behind the H100 and other highly desirable AI GPUs had used their copyrighted books without permission to train language models for NeMo—one of its AI platforms—over the past three years, Reuters has learned.

See full article...

That's interesting I wonder how you prove or disprove that.

So as long as a computer can change the content by 20% or more and achieve the same results it isn't theft?

So I could download the Microsoft source code and simply tell an AI to update the code by 20% but have the same effect for the OS and that would be legal?

So as long as a computer can change the content by 20% or more and achieve the same results it isn't theft?

So I could download the Microsoft source code and simply tell an AI to update the code by 20% but have the same effect for the OS and that would be legal?
Think you have to prove that you clean-roomed code

Similarly with literature - you can’t just direct copy 80% of the content and be clear - there is a definite line between “inspired by” and “copied from” and “directly cited and used with permission”

Music runs into this all the time as melodies and such are usually pretty short and often fall into common patterns. Courts are usually fairly lenient unless it’s blatant and proven case of direct copy

The question is - is AI copying, since it’s digital data, or is it being inspired?

Become a Patron!
Back