Samsung Plans to Launch an SSD Subscription Service

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung Electronics will have plenty to share during this week's GTC 2024 conference, and one of its announcements will be for an SSD subscription service, according to reports online.

See full article...

I guess if you can subscribe to server cores, why the heck not SSDs

Well that's something I sure as **** won't be utilizing. Or locking it down so it can't report in and manually unlocking the entire drive on a personal system. Enterprise system whatever.. if they want to be paying for servers forever why not.

They are all learning from IBM that has mastered RMR installs for hardware forever ago. Back when they would sell customers fully loaded RS/6000, AS400, or mainframe systems. But through licensing only unlock x amount of cores or memory. I'm sure now it's subscription based with on demand processing as if you were in the cloud.

For an enterprise it can make sense because your partially licensed system can have a full on CPU failure and just bring one of the non used CPU's online and mark the old one bad. Everything keeps running until the tech can come onsite to replace what has failed. In many cases without taking the unit down. That is why they are so expensive. Oh and their I/O is second to NONE. Nobody can touch the I/O of their hardware. But you're paying a big premium for it.

Become a Patron!
Back