Intel Issues Statement in Response to 13th and 14th Gen CPU Stability Issues

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel has issued a statement in response to some of the stability issues that some 13th and 14th Gen Intel Core users have apparently been facing, explaining that the problem likely stems from out-of-specification operating conditions.

See full article...

It seems like this might be similar to AMD's issue with motherboard partners over-volting chips by default at stock settings.

Some discussions on that subject from almost a year ago:

I suspect since so many reviewers test motherboards to see how "overclockable" they are, this has resulted in motherboard manufacturers being sneaky and stealthily overvolting chips at stock settings so they look better in reviews.

They seem to focus on Asus, but it is clear all the big motherboard players have been doing this.

I personally had this issue with Gigabyte back in late 2019/ early 2020 when my TRX40 Aorus Master killed two Threadripper 3960x's at stock settings before I tried a different motherboard.

I had suspected the motherboard was the problem after my first Threadripper died, but when I RMA'd it back to Gigabyte they sent it back with "no problem found".

They probably got away with the practice for years, until newer smaller process nodes made CPU's more sensitive to being overvolted, and now they **** is hitting the fan.

I lost almost a year of using the most expensive PC I've ever built due to this bullshit. I wouldn't mind a class action lawsuit, but I know that would only result in like $5 for us normal people, and a windfall for the lawyers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the solution is a completely new and larger CPU package so AMD and Intel can bring their VRM's on package where they can control them, and make sure they cannot be overvolted. At least not without some pretty serious disclaimers.

Become a Patron!
Back