50 TB HDDs Are Coming in 2026–2027, IEEE Says

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Many would say that the storage capacities of modern-day HDDs are already impressive, with some models going up to 32 TB, but data hoarders can expect even higher capacities in the years ahead, according to a new report from the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) that suggests 50 TB HDDs should be available in just a few short years—by 2026–2027.

See full article...

I'm kinda surprised they are still putting any R&D into spinners, when it's almost trivial (but not cheap, yet anyway) to just stack NAND ram and make an SSD any size you want.

cost per TB for cold storage is very much a concern of enterprise, both for backups and legal compliance. Magnetic tape for offsite backups is already at 50TB uncompressed and might even be higher at this point

These monsters aren't designed with home use in mind, they are aimed at enterprise / datacenter / cloud. For SANs, density is king. And they all throw a ton of SSD at the top of the stack for cache. Eventually the tech will trickle down to consumer level if there is any demand for it. But really, who needs these for home? I have a 18tb mini array in my home "server" and I have a TON of stuff and it's not half full. OTOH if streaming wasn't a thing and we were still throwing physical media around all the time, there could be an argument for ripping and home streaming.

Last edited:
cost per TB for cold storage is very much a concern of enterprise, both for backups and legal compliance. Magnetic tape for offsite backups is already at 50TB uncompressed and might even be higher at this point
yep.

LTO9 is 19tb uncompressed and 45tb compresses. IBM has a drive that will do around 50 / 150. Tape is still very much a thing for archival.

Become a Patron!
Back