Sony Invests $1 Billion toward Epic Games’ Metaverse

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Epic Games has been hyping up its long-term vision for the metaverse over the past year, and one company that seems really confident about it becoming a game-changer is Sony. Following an initial investment of $200 million back in April 2021, the Japanese giant has now doubled down with an even bigger investment of $1 billion to help build and support Epic Games' metaverse, according to a press release shared by the company today.

Go to post

So... it's... basically... secondlife but for gamers/kids? I mean that's what I'm getting here.

Good lord the potential for abuse is TITANIC. I don't see how this won't fail HORRIBLY.

Hard pass.

Look, if people want this, I'm not looking to stop them, as long as I don't get forced into using this ****.

I wasn't going to play anyhting Epic anyway, so it doesn't affect me...

I will literally quit my job if stuff like this becomes the norm at work like Microsoft seems to want to do.

The "metaverse" can blow me.

1649710173200.png

Never had a man said so many words that meant so little.

This announcement is a mashup of investor buzzwords. It literally means nothing.

The "metaverse" is nothing. It's a bigger scam than NFTs. Per definition every online game is already a metaverse. There is no difference.

It seems like a lot of corporations seem to link "Metaverse" with Virtual Reality. I don't really know why - but it seems to have that connection. Epic is the only one I don't really see an obvious cross-tie to that. To me - it seems more like any online community; I think that could include something VR based, but I don't think it's a requirement.

Facebook obviously has a lot invested in this - so much so that they bought Occulus and renamed their company to Meta.

Sony has their own VR system, with 2nd generation due out "anytime". They also at one point on the PS3 had the PS Home - which was pretty darn close to Second Life, which is honestly what I think of when I think "Metaverse" (along with basically every MMO ever).

So, I can't say I'm surprised. I don't think it's smart - "metaverse" is just another buzzword that will get overhyped into meaningless fluff, like W3, or AI (everything is AI now), or Turbo (everything has turbo boost now)

Become a Patron!
Back