All-Digital Xbox Series X with 1 TB SSD in Robot White Coming Holiday 2024

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Three new Xbox Series X|S consoles, including a new all-digital Xbox Series X that comes in a "Robot White" color and includes a 1 TB SSD to house some of Xbox's biggest upcoming games, such as Indiana Jones and the Great Circle (MachineGames) and Avowed (Obsidian Entertainment), will be available for purchase in select markets this holiday, Microsoft has announced.

See full article...

I don't get the point here.

Is this just like the PS Slim release - it doesn't really do anything new, just a slightly more attractive price point?

All Sony has to do is drop the PS5 Pro and drop the mic and this generation will be all over. Nintendo doesn't have to do anything at all, and it's all but won the race and could just sit and watch until Gen10. Microsoft's strategy of Whatever The Opposite of a Pro Edition that S is was a very obvious failure.

I say all that, then I go back and think -- it's not the hardware. It's all about the games. And Microsoft just has never really got that. Even when I thought they were starting to make headway, they proved they haven't learned anything from the debacles with Rare and Bungie -- just buying existing developers doesn't do anything if you can't keep them productive and creative. ActiBliz and Bethesda and all those other high profile recent acquisitions will probably be in the toilet inside of 5 years. Getting bought by Microsoft is the kiss of death.

Minecraft has only avoided that fate because the very original Java version of Minecraft is still going strong, and it hasn't needed a lot of anything - I can't think of any of the additions since the Mojang purchase that has done anything really positive for it. I have no idea how this unit makes any money though.

Last edited:
I was hoping MS would shrink the dimensions of the all-digital Series X to something closer to a Series S in size/design. I really, really like the Series S form factor (it'd be perfect for travel or work night shift gaming) but want the full b/c capability of the Series X.

They didn't detail it, but I doubt these consoles will get m2 2280 support (like the PS5) which is really lame. Oh, and pricing is not great - feel like they should've lowered all SKUs by at least $50.

Also disappointed they didn't reveal the Xbox handheld, but wasn't really expecting it with how recently it would've gone into development. At least Spencer quasi-confirmed it during a post-conference interview (and detailed it would be local, not cloud-based).

I've gotta admit, after the most recent Xbox game showcase, I'm more excited for what's coming to Xbox than the PS5. I mean, I'd likely play most of those titles on PC anyway, but I digress.

The new X is up to 2TB, the S goes up to 1 TB — so both get a bit of a storage bump. But yeah, storage expansion is that proprietary seagate card

Become a Patron!
Back