Amazon’s New World MMORPG Will Be Released This August

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
new-world-key-art-1024x577.jpg
Image: Amazon Game Studios

Amazon Game Studios has announced that its first MMORPG, New World, will be released on August 31, 2021. The news was revealed as part of a development update posted on New World’s official site today, which confirmed that the game’s closed beta will begin on July 20, 2021. In addition to an end-game zone called Eboncale Reach, participants will be able to try out five-player instanced adventures called Expeditions, as well as 20 vs. 20 battles in a mode called Outpost Rush.

“Last August we held a Preview Event with the goal of sharing our progress while collecting as much feedback as possible,” the developer wrote. “We invited hundreds of thousands of players to experience New World. Your feedback and gameplay experiences validated our thoughts of what improvements and...

Continue reading...

Can"t help but think this is an elder scrolls game from the looks of it. Prove me wrong amazon, prove me wrong.

What's the story? What's the setting? Is this anything more than a tech preview?

What's the story? What's the setting? Is this anything more than a tech preview?
First it was a MMO, then it turned into a fantasy survival game, now it's swung to something like RvR from what I can tell... not really sure where it's headed. From the last closed beta the RvR folks said it wasn't too bad. I was excited when it was supposed to be a MMO, but it isn't really that any more.

I'm not even sure if it uses Amazon's Lumberyard engine anymore or not, although I guess it would be fitting that it shares an engine with another never-to-be-really-released title Star Citizen.

First it was a MMO, then it turned into a fantasy survival game, now it's swung to something like RvR from what I can tell... not really sure where it's headed. From the last closed beta the RvR folks said it wasn't too bad. I was excited when it was supposed to be a MMO, but it isn't really that any more.

I'm not even sure if it uses Amazon's Lumberyard engine anymore or not, although I guess it would be fitting that it shares an engine with another never-to-be-really-released title Star Citizen.
I also had a passing interest in the game in its original conception, but it seems that Amazon keeps chasing trends in desperation to create that billion dollar franchise. They are still trying to design games through data. Maybe if they focused on trying to make a genuinely good game, first, then the money would follow. I wouldn't be surprised if this game quickly dies in its first few months of release like Amazon's past three attempts.

Maybe they are trying to let ai design a game based on its learned sampling of users actions?

Not that I approve but if they have the capital to risk on a game where every interaction is more data for an ai to learn from.... it seems a sound investment.

Become a Patron!
Back