AMD’s Next-Generation AM5 Platform Will Reportedly Switch from PGA to LGA Sockets and Lack PCIe 5.0 Support

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-ryzen-a520-chipset-key-art.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD’s future Ryzen desktop processors won’t feature a pin grid array (PGA) at the bottom of each chip. This is based on alleged specifications shared by hardware leaker ExecutableFix, who claims that red team’s AM5 platform will be taking a page out of the EPYC and Ryzen Threadripper design book by switching from a PGA to LGA (land grid array) socket. The AM5 platform is also said to support dual-channel DDR5 memory but remain on PCIe 4.0.

AM5 😏– LGA-1718– Dual-channel DDR5– PCI-e 4.0– 600 series chipset— ExecutableFix (@ExecuFix) May 22, 2021

The socket retains the 40×40 mm CPU size as well— ExecutableFix (@ExecuFix) May 22, 2021

[…] surprisingly, PCI Express Gen5 support is to be...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, Series 700 will probably give PCIe 5, have to have some reason for another chipset later. Intel will just slaughter AMD on SSD speeds, maybe important once DirectStorage is actually used for games and other applications.

Doesn't seem like PCI 4 has really made a huge dent, other than as a marketing bulletpoint.

I tend to agree we would need to see more actuap benefits to the speed of pcie 5 disks. Most folks are running plain Ole ssd still.

so ... could I just sand down the pins on my 5800x and use my same chip on these new motherboards then?

So moving from cpu pins to motherboard socket pins like Intel did? I dislike this. It is so easy to bend or damage the pins in the socket and near impossible to fix if you do.... if I bend a cpu pin I can usually work it out with a razor/credit card/mech pencil etc

So moving from cpu pins to motherboard socket pins like Intel did? I dislike this. It is so easy to bend or damage the pins in the socket and near impossible to fix if you do.... if I bend a cpu pin I can usually work it out with a razor/credit card/mech pencil etc

I only bent a socket pin once and was easily fixable. But yes its a lot easier to fix a bent cpu pin. Still if you hancle them with the proper care, you shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited:
That's probably exactly why they did it - not because of repair, but because the liability of damaged pins will fall on the motherboard manufacturer, not the CPU manufacturer

Well that's a little disappointing.

I was expecting a new socket for the ddr5 and pcie5 so the socket could be nearly as long lived as am4. Now I'll at lest have to replace a motherboard early in the am5 socket run to get pcie5 support on some future generation processor.

I've basically been waiting on am5 to build my next system, so I could enjoy the new socket with a 3+ year upgrade path on am5 platform. Unfortunately, I won't be able to wait longer for the am5 spec sheet I was hoping for originally (ddr5+pcie5+usb5).

If AMD managed to keep sticker price down for consumer gear, I might be ok with it, but I am certain in this type of market that keeping msrp and price down is not a priority for manufactures. They have probably determined they can charge more while delivering less innovation and less new technology, which eliminates internal costs to them and thus increases profit margins on unit sales.

I guess I'll just have to justify the more costly future (compared to zen4 / am5 launch) upgrade with next gen processor + motherboard chipset to gain support for pcie5 and maybe usb 5.0 / thunderbolt 4.0 or something like that.

We do all realize that amd went from pcie 3 to 4 and did that on the am4 socket right?

I only bent a socket pin once and was easily fixable. But yes its a lot easier to fix a bent cpu pin. Still if you hancle them with the proper care, you shouldn't have a problem.

I have had RMA blades come from Cisco with bent pins right out of the box. Sometimes they go unnoticed and you install the cpu and everything else... and might sorta work but exhibit bizarre problems and crashes. Nowadays when I do motherboard replacements I triple check the cpu socket.

I have had RMA blades come from Cisco with bent pins right out of the box. Sometimes they go unnoticed and you install the cpu and everything else... and might sorta work but exhibit bizarre problems and crashes. Nowadays when I do motherboard replacements I triple check the cpu socket.

Still not as bad as the old IBM sockets that were a gold mesh and could only be used once.... ahhh the late 80's were so much fun...

Become a Patron!
Back