AMD’s RDNA 2-Based “Big Navi” GPU Will Arrive Before Next-Gen Consoles

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-5600-xt-side-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

How will AMD’s “Big Navi” Radeon RX GPU fare against NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX flagships? Apparently, we’ll be able to find out in just a few months, as company CFO Devinder Kumar has confirmed (via PC Gamer) that this will be red team’s “first RDNA 2-based product.” Being that the next-gen PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles leverage this very same architecture and are expected to launch this holiday, Big Navi must be releasing relatively soon.

“There’s a lot of excitement for Navi 2, or what our fans have dubbed as the Big Navi,” Kumar said during yesterday’s Bank of America Securities Global Technology Conference call. “This will be our first RDNA 2-based product.”

“Big Navi is a halo product,” Kumar added. “….enthusiasts love to buy the best, and we are certainly working on giving them the...

Continue reading...

Anyone in the market for a new GPU short of replacing a device that fails should just wait until both are on the market and the pricing/review wars are settled down a bit. If you/we buy early when they drop it will be at a premium. So... I would advise waiting and dealing with possible struggle to get one as fast as you would like rather than say buy Green or Red right now.

And yes... I'm telling MYSELF the same thing! ;)

I just hope the pricing isn't ridiculous like it was for the current gen for Nvidia. When the Midrange RTX 2080 card costs nearly what the rest of the system combined costs, that's where I draw the line.

Yea that was an issue for me as well. I'm hoping AMD can compete at the highest level... And it's in this case on AMD to release first because if they don't Nvidia has the performance crown and can literally sit on their hands and look at AMD and wait while raking in money. They have zero financial motivation to release another generation of cards, and even less to lower the actual prices.

IF AMD can come out with a performance winner AND be faster than the next halo 3000 line of cards at a better price point that will be real pressure on Nvidia to compete. Only time will tell.

look, 5700 XT was pretty cheap and a very good GPU.
I'm thinking that the Big-Navi will be nicely priced. I hope it will be slightly better than the RTX 2080 Ti.
You have to believe the next "big thing" is going to be the RTX 3080 Ti, but you'll need a loan to buy one.

Honestly, I don't buy the highest level, so if AMD can't compete with a $1200 card, I'm not so broke up about that.

I'm not throwing 4 digits at a GPU no matter how fast it is, I just don't want to afford that. So it doesn't matter to me if anyone has a video card in that price range, no matter how fast it is.

What matters to me is who has the best card in the price bracket I'm going to buy in.

*edit* that isn't to say that I don't appreciate it when someone moves the playing field forward - I'm all for innovation. I just don't think current tiered pricing reflects that.

Right now, what I'm looking for - DP 2.0 / HDMI 2.1 -- Honestly, the price/performance is already there in current generation and normally I would have upgraded this cycle (probably a 5700XT or 2070 - looking for roughly double or better the performance of my current GTX 980), but I am holding out on the faster interface to hopefully pair it with a LG CX later this year.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back