AMD’s Smart Access Memory Feature Should Work on X470 and B450 Motherboards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-smart-access-memory-slide-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Contrary to what marketing materials suggest, it appears that AMD’s Smart Access Memory (SAM) feature may not be exclusive to 500 Series chipsets and motherboards after all. ComputerBase has reported on the findings of German YouTuber RawiioliExtras, who recently tested ASRock’s new BIOS updates and discovered that the latest AGESA enables SAM support on his B450 Steel Legend motherboard.

“With the latest BIOS updates and AGESA v2 1.1.0.0, in addition to the Zen 3 CPUs Ryzen 9 5950X, 5900X, Ryzen 7 5800X and Ryzen 5 5600X, the Smart Access Memory for X470 and B450 is also activated,” ComputerBase confirmed. “Most recently, the corresponding BIOS...

Continue reading...

Technically .. this could work with Ryzen 3000 series too?

Technically .. this could work with Ryzen 3000 series too?

My understanding is that there is nothing about the CPU's that makes this feature possible or not.

it's simply an AMD decision to not enable it on anything prior to 5xxx series CPU's, which is total BS if you ask me.

I can understand saying "Hey, we need at least PCIe 4 bandwidth, so it will only be available on PCIe4 enabled systems. That would make sense. But restricting it to 5000 series chips only is a total Nvidia move.

Last edited:
I can understand saying "Hey, we need at least PCIe 4 bandwidth, so it will only be available on PCIe4 enabled systems. That would make sense. But restricting it to 5000 series chips only is a total Nvidia move.
Well your only the scrappy underdog when your the underdog. I am also disappointed, mildly, but not heartbroken.

I would feel better about it if there were actual hardware to purchase.

Become a Patron!
Back