AMD’s Weaker Radeon RX 6000 Series GPU Reportedly Has Same CU/Core Count as Current Flagship

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-logo-red-circular-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

A user on r/AMD has shared alleged data pertaining to AMD’s Navi 22 or Navi 23 GPU, “Navy Flounder.” Following a bit of simple math, the parameters allude to a lower-ranged Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics card that features 40 Compute Units and 2560 stream processors. This happens to be a perfect match for AMD’s current flagship, the Radeon RX 5700 XT.

There’s a disparity in memory specifications, however. While the Radeon RX 5700 XT (and its Anniversary variant) sports a 256-bit memory interface, the Navy Flounder will supposedly swim with a lesser, 192-bit one.

“The number of CUs can be...

Continue reading...

The memory would point to a configuration of six 16Gb chips, which would mean standard GDDR6. No return of HBM in consumer cards, it seems.

The memory would point to a configuration of six 16Gb chips, which would mean standard GDDR6. No return of HBM in consumer cards, it seems.

HBM did nothing for AMD except increase productions costs. Not a lot of bang for the buck with HBM, yet.

HBM did nothing for AMD except increase productions costs. Not a lot of bang for the buck with HBM, yet.

Gotta agree with that. Maybe it was the architecture holding it back, but sure didn't feel like HBM brought much to the table.

I really like the idea of HBM, but it's a bit of a catch 22 in terms of implementation.

It's really, really effective for smaller dies and can provide cooling and power benefits, but as die size increases, so does the size of the interposer, and yields of the combined part suffer more.

Really big dies, more HBM stacks, even larger interposers... just don't make sense until you can charge Quadro and Tesla prices it seems.

Feels funny to call the 5700XT "Flagship", since it's just a mid-tier card, but I suppose that is technically accurate.

Feels funny to call the 5700XT "Flagship", since it's just a mid-tier card, but I suppose that is technically accurate.
Could throw in the Radeon VII, since it's a hair faster and has twice the VRAM?

I was reading that 16GB of HBM2 is down to $120. That is a lot cheaper than GDDR6X is right now, and around the same cost of GDDR6. I have not seen anything recently about HBM3, but it was supposed to be in mass production sometime this year.

We're all trying to forget that one, even AMD themselves are.
It was mostly just late, IIRC. It's within the margin of error with the 1080Ti and 5700XT in games, and the same cost (well, MSRP) as the 1080Ti, so in terms of VRAM capacity and raw compute performance, it was a good deal.
what good is having 16GB of HBM if you can't use it?
Not for games, but if your software could actually use the compute resources?

And not a slouch for games, if not particularly exceptional.

Of course this is all in relation to the 'flagship GPU' idea. The Radeon VII (and Vega 56 / 64 before) is more of a 'mini Titan'-style GPU. More focused on compute than gaming.

Also, Big Navi is, I think, AMDs first real departure from using their high-end compute parts for gaming. Nvidia had previously stopped doing this, and it's one of the reasons that AMD has struggled to compete for headline gaming performance over the years.

Remember, though, the purported "50% per watt" performance uplift. Either this new-and-improved "5700XT" will be *massively* more efficient, *or* (more likely) it will be significantly more powerful at the same power level as the last-gen part.

Remember, though, the purported "50% per watt" performance uplift. Either this new-and-improved "5700XT" will be *massively* more efficient, *or* (more likely) it will be significantly more powerful at the same power level as the last-gen part.
We need a rumored benchmark to back up these rumors.

Become a Patron!
Back