AMD Announces Ryzen PRO 5000 Series “Zen 3” Mobile Processors for Premium Business Laptops

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-ryzen-pro-keys-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD has announced what it is calling the world’s best mobile processors for premium business laptops: the Ryzen PRO 5000 Mobile Series. Red team confirmed the specifications of its new Zen 3-based family in a press release published today, which outlined the differences between the three Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U (8C/16T), Ryzen 5 PRO 5650U (6C/12T), and Ryzen 3 PRO 5450U (4C/8T) SKUs. The Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U is said to offer up to 57 percent more multi-threaded performance and up to 23 percent faster performance for home and office productivity than the competition.

AMD’s new Ryzen PRO 5000 Series Mobile Processors also differentiate themselves from the standard lineup with strengthened multi-layer enterprise-class security...

Continue reading...

You know, you want to try to be excited about these, but AMDs marketing copy here is annoying to parse.

Like, why did I have to go through three different pages to figure out if these have GPUs? And why didn't that tell me what Radeon GPUs they have?

What about ECC memory? What size battery is their benchmark for run time?

And last, Lenovo and HP as launch partners...?

And last, Lenovo and HP as launch partners...?
Well, if you are going to have launch partners for business oriented laptops, your only missing Dell to have the trifecta lineup.

Well, if you are going to have launch partners for business oriented laptops, your only missing Dell to have the trifecta lineup.
Dell is also the 'premium' one though. For whatever reason, HP comes across as the 'cheaper' brand when it comes to laptops, especially business laptops.

AMD really needs to court the XPS, Latitude, and Precision lineups!

I would love one of these 8 core 16 thread CPU's for my next work laptop. I just know I'll be lucky to get a 4 core and hyperthreading is a maybe... even for our developer edition laptops. It's just painful..

I would love one of these 8 core 16 thread CPU's for my next work laptop. I just know I'll be lucky to get a 4 core and hyperthreading is a maybe... even for our developer edition laptops. It's just painful..
They gave me a Surface Laptop 3... which is, for my purposes, stellar.

But if I needed more 'umph'? I guess I'd get a Precision that could double as body armor in a combat zone :D

And I'll keep my XPS 15 as it stands. Imperfect, but as close as can be gotten.

Become a Patron!
Back