AMD Announcing 7 nm+ RDNA 2 Radeon RX GPUs at CES 2020?

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Radeon team may be planning something big for next year's Consumer Electronics Show. According to Chiphell member Wjm47196 (who accurately leaked the release dates for the Radeon RX 590, Radeon VII, and 7 nm Navi cards in the past), AMD will unveil its second-generation RDNA GPUs during CES 2020 in January. The company may also be introducing a third desktop-grade Navi 10 product to take on NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 16 Series.

AMD's plans for their 2nd Generation rDNA based Radeon RX Navi GPU lineup is to offer a product preview at CES 2020. That would be interesting and makes sense since CES 2020 will be a huge event for AMD to unveil their 2020 product portfolio which includes Zen 3 and 2nd Gen rDNA based products for mainstream, enthusiast, notebook and server markets.

Does this then mean no high end first gen Navi cards.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Midrange Navi was already too power inefficient to be able to expand performance any higher and keep it inside any tolerable power threshold.

I think the Navi architecture is quite good and scaleable but only if AMD can get the power usage under control. Considering we hadn't seen any higher end Navi beyond the 5700XT I expected we wouldn't be seeing one until something was done. I figured there would be some sort of respin which would allow power and heat to come down which would allow for a more powerful GPU. The architecture I wouldn't expect to change much but at least in the CPU space I've seen many times over the years where practically no changes were made to the architecture but changes to the layout of the die allowed for lower heat, lower power consumption and better scaling clocks. There are reasons we had so many different iterations of the Athlon back in the Socket A days.

I could also be partially wrong. It may very well be that the first iteration of Navi was never really supposed to be a released product and what could be the second iteration is what was what the first released product was supposed to be. However, AMD may have been in too much of a bind and ended up pushing forward with the unfinished Navi just to get a new product out there.

Looking into it. We have enough traffic to qualify for media credentials. On my end it's figuring out if someone can watch the kids that week, which is still TBD.

Sounds good. I'm sure, worst case scenario, you can rope one of the forum moderators into watching your kids that week.

Become a Patron!
Back