AMD Ends Driver Support for R9 Fury, R9 Nano, and Many Other Older Radeon Graphics Cards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-top-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD is complementing today’s new Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.1 driver release with an announcement that it’s terminating support for many of its older Radeon graphics cards. These include products in the Radeon R9 Fury Series, R9 Nano Series, R9 300|200 Series, and Radeon HD 8000|7000 Series. As noted in AMD’s blog post, the last driver that will support these legacy models is Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.5.2. Red team also revealed that Radeon Software support for Windows 7 64-bit based operating systems have been moved to a legacy support model.

DESKTOPMOBILEAMD A-Series APUs with Radeon R4, R5, R6, or R7 GraphicsAMD A-Series PRO processors with Radeon GraphicsAMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon R5 or R7 GraphicsAMD FX-Series APUs with Radeon R7 GraphicsAMD Athlon™ Series APUs with Radeon R3 GraphicsAMD E-Series APUs with Radeon R2 GraphicsAMD Sempron™...

Continue reading...

Now I'm against them ending support for the Fury and Nano so early. I don't think it's quite time to end support on those yet. Others below that I can understand, but not the Fury line yet.

I also wonder what will mean for the Radeon VII in time, what's it end support date? Cause that's another card I think should get support for a lot longer.

I do tend to remember about 5 years being the support lifetime for most video cards, the RX300 series was released 6 years ago.

What is ending support anyway? Was there ever support?
Yes but does it make a sound?

Maybe I have just lost track of all assemblance of the passing of time, but it feels like they only just launched The R9 Fury and friends.

Jesus apparently that was 6 years ago? Either way, 6 years seems a little short. I mean, not historically. Back in th eday GPU's were an every year upgrade at least, but these days, I'm still using my Pascal Titan X and it is still pretty good, and only a year younger than the R9 series...

Maybe I have just lost track of all assemblance of the passing of time, but it feels like they only just launched The R9 Fury and friends.

Jesus apparently that was 6 years ago? Either way, 6 years seems a little short. I mean, not historically. Back in th eday GPU's were an every year upgrade at least, but these days, I'm still using my Pascal Titan X and it is still pretty good, and only a year younger than the R9 series...
Not too far off the mark. nVidia did just kill off Titan Z - that was a 2014 card - so 7 years.

Not too far off the mark. nVidia did just kill off Titan Z - that was a 2014 card - so 7 years.

Yep, I have an original 6GB Kepler Titan as well. That just got killed off.

That said, just because they don't get updated driver support doesn't mean that they just stop working, but still...

That is a pretty good point. I remember the days (Geforce2 through Geforce FX) of upgrading nearly every year... and now I'm sitting on a 1070 in the Win10 box and a Radeon VII on the Linux box. Both of which i expect to last me quite a bit longer as I'm comfortable sitting at 2560x1440/1600 resolution. Even Cyberpunk does pretty well on a 1070. Before that... my GTX 580 lasted me far longer than I expected it to. I still use that in the rendering box.

Fortunately, Linux support tends to go a fair bit longer than official support does.

That is a pretty good point. I remember the days (Geforce2 through Geforce FX) of upgrading nearly every year... and now I'm sitting on a 1070 in the Win10 box and a Radeon VII on the Linux box. Both of which i expect to last me quite a bit longer as I'm comfortable sitting at 2560x1440/1600 resolution. Even Cyberpunk does pretty well on a 1070. Before that... my GTX 580 lasted me far longer than I expected it to. I still use that in the rendering box.

Fortunately, Linux support tends to go a fair bit longer than official support does.

Yup. I used to be on the ~ annual GPU upgrade schedule. It seems extreme today but GPU's were also a fair bit cheaper then.

In October 2001 i bought the fastest GPU money could buy, a GeForce 3 TI500. It set me back $350.

It replaced my GeForce 2 GTS, which was only about a year old.

The GF3 was replaced by a GeForce 6800GT on launch. That was an extremely long time between upgrades at about 2.5 years, but was mostly because the GeForce 4 series wasn't much faster than the top GF3, and the GeForce FX generation that came after it sucked ***.

After that 6800 GT i took a bit of a break from the PC hobby. It wasn't until 2009 I picked it up again. First with a basic GeForce 9400 (i don't play games anymore) then rapidly replacing it with a fanless Radeon 5750 (ok, maybe light games) then shortly after it was a blur.

GeForce GTX 470 -> GTX 580 -> Radeon 6970 -> dual Radeon 6970's -> single Radeon 7970 -> GeForce 680

I was an early adopter of the 30" 2560x1600 screen and was constantly chasing acceptable performance at that resolution.

I didn't find it until I bought the original 6GB Kepler Titan in 2013. This is where GPU longevity started for me. I kept the Titan in my main rig (before moving it to backup duty) for two years, which I thought was long at the time.

Then I made another foolish mistake and was an early adopter of 4k and bought two 980ti's in 2015.

Those only lasted a year before being replaced with the Pascal Titan X in 2016 on launch, and I've kept that GPU ever since. 5 years is some kind of record for me.

To be fair, I considered upgrading sooner. The 2080ti appealed to me, bit the "space invaders" failures had me spooked until way too late in the game.

(My philosophy is that if I am going to spend big bucks on a top end GPU it had to be at launch or shortly after so it stays relevant longer)

The 3090 was appealing too. It's launch MSRP was a little intense at $1,499 and it did give me pause, but what has happened since then has just been stupid.

I refuse to buy any GPU above the chipmakers original MSRP for any reason, so I guess the Titan keeps chugging on...

Become a Patron!
Back