AMD Is Turning Its Focus from Hardware to Software to Be More like NVIDIA

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD, the company best known for its wide range of computer hardware, including Ryzen CPUs, Radeon GPUs, and AI accelerators, is no longer taking a hardware-first approach for its business and will, instead, pivot to one where software is the primary focus, according to new information that company executives had shared during a recent roundtable event.

See full article...

It's semantics as far as I'm concerned.

CPU's and GPU's exist to run software. Without software they have no reason to exist. They go hand in hand.

Wasn't it 10 or 15 years ago Jensen Huang made the same statement about Nvidia to much ridicule? Nvidia still manufactures hardware. (or at least designs it, and has contracts to manufacture it)

I will say this though, lots of the ****tiest stuff Nvidia has done has come through their software. Lock-ins, lock-outs and other market manipulations.

I tend to think the would would have been a better place without CUDA as it has served as nothing but a tool for Nvidia to manipulate the market to their own advantage.

We need something of a Volcker Rule for hardware and software, as combining the two gives one organization way too much power to manipulate and control.

You can:
1.) Design Develop and Sell Electronics Hardware
2.) Design develop and sell software
3.) Operate an online store.

Pick one. (well, with he exception of drivers that make the hardware work)

The world needs fewer CUDA's and more OpenCL's. All standards and API's should be open, with hardware vendors fighting over who can best perform at them, not at locking out the competition.

Become a Patron!
Back