AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Overclocked Beyond 2.5 GHz, Bringing It Even Closer to NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3090

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-vertical-black-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

We’ve already seen a few rumors (1, 2) about the possibility of AMD’s Radeon RX 6800 XT graphics cards breaching the 2.5 GHz barrier, but here’s another sign that the GPU can perform much faster than its highest officially listed frequency (2.25 GHz).

OneRaichu has shared a GPU-Z screenshot that, while largely redacted, shows the Radeon RX 6800 XT being able to hit clocks of over 2.5 GHz. This is mighty impressive in itself, but what’s also interesting is that the...

Continue reading...

Oh cool, I love imaginary objects fighting each other

Lol. I am hopeful this one will be slightly easier to get, but I hear you.

My question is what kind of cooling was necessary to hit that speed, and how much of an anomaly it was.

Lets think about this... a 1k card with an overclock is out running a 1.5 to whatever scalpers are charging card.

You know what would have been competitive from Nvidia? A 3080ti with 16GB of ram maintaining the buss and leaving 24gb of ram to the professional cards their by letting them under cut ATI I mean AMD.

But they don't want to seem slower... so they have to take on additionl hardware and MATCH the price of AMD cards with more expensive ram. So if you're looking for a 1k card... it seems the 3080ti will be the card that gives you the most silicone for the lowest price in the GPU arena.

What an interesting time where Nvidia is having to have more ram to appear as a better value...

it seems BigNavi loves high clocks, while OC brings neglible performance increase in the 3000 series, the 6000 series can make good use of every extra mhz

a 25% clock increase from stock is awesome, don't remember seeing that kind of jump since my Geforce 3Ti 200

I have the sneaking suspicion that plenty of people will be OC'ing their 6800xt's to 6900xt levels.

Lets think about this... a 1k card with an overclock is out running a 1.5 to whatever scalpers are charging card.

You know what would have been competitive from Nvidia? A 3080ti with 16GB of ram maintaining the buss and leaving 24gb of ram to the professional cards their by letting them under cut ATI I mean AMD.

But they don't want to seem slower... so they have to take on additionl hardware and MATCH the price of AMD cards with more expensive ram. So if you're looking for a 1k card... it seems the 3080ti will be the card that gives you the most silicone for the lowest price in the GPU arena.

What an interesting time where Nvidia is having to have more ram to appear as a better value...
Except having 16GB on the 3080Ti would mean having a 256 or 512bit bus which is either too slow or too expensive. I know AMD pulled it off with a 256bit bus but they have infiniticache which is either great or DDR6X just sucks big time or nvidia can't take advantage of it.

As its now, a 3080Ti could have 11/12/20/22 or 24 GB of DDR6X without a major redesign of the PCB

Become a Patron!
Back