AMD Reportedly Dropping “Big Navi” Prices Following GeForce RTX 30 Series Announcement

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-logo-red-circular-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

One of the most welcome surprises stemming from NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 30 Series announcement was lower-than-expected prices. The GeForce RTX 3080, for instance, is launching later this month for “only” $699 – the same MSRP as its predecessor, the GeForce RTX 2080 – despite being significantly more powerful. We weren’t the only ones that took notice.

According to coretek’s AIB sources, AMD is changing its pricing plans for “Big Navi” due to NVIDIA’s sudden bout of generosity. Red team was going to release its (presumably flagship) 16 GB Radeon RX 6000 Series GPU at $599, but to better compete with green team, these cards may launch at $549 instead. That’s a $50 savings, which is a nice chunk of change.

"They [AMD] want to release the 16GB at $599 and the 8GB at $499 but after the Ampere...

Continue reading...

I don’t get how AMD can drop something they haven’t released yet.

That said - if the price rumor is true lines big Navi right up with 3070 / 2080 Ti

Well.
Nice to finally get some info on Big Navi.
Looks like nvidia is fully alone at the top.
Its going to be interesting to see which non 3090 card runs best for the buck at 1440.

I don’t get how AMD can drop something they haven’t released yet.

That said - if the price rumor is true lines big Navi right up with 3070 / 2080 Ti

Well, it can drop projected prices or rather, intended prices before release. It's more common than you'd think. Intel did it with the Core i9-10980XE following the information on Zen 2's early benchmarks. It had dropped the price of the Core i9-9980XE due to that very reason and as a result knew it couldn't charge $1,899 the way it had for the 9980XE on launch.

As for the rest, I agree with you. However, it's pretty much what we all had predicted. I figured at best, Big Navi might be slightly faster than the RTX 2080 Ti, but I wouldn't expect it to go beyond that.

I'm pretty sure AMD new Nvidia was going to release first and didn't plan on pricing until after they knew for sure. Seems odd that AIBs don't even have a BOM yet but they know pricing? Seems more likely someone is just making up "news". AMD was never settled on a price and is always going to price according to the market. So, yes AMD is adjusting prices based on ampere, but they were going to do that regardless.

"Sudden bout of generosity."

I love how everyone was assuming NVIDIA was going to somehow screw people over with their new generation of cards instead of realizing how Turing was an outlier due to the new technologies integrated.

Become a Patron!
Back