AMD Reportedly Launching New Radeon RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards in April

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6000-series-rdna-2-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD will reportedly launch its next lineup of Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics cards in April. The rumor comes from hardware leaker Yuko Yoshida, who claims that these new GPUs will target 1080p gaming with 32 Compute Units, 64 MB of Infinity Cache, and 8 GB of GDDR6 memory. Pricing is listed as CNY 2,499, which translates to around $383.

Cezanne Desktop APU~JuneDimgray Cavefish GPU~1440p < RTX 3060 < 1080p~April~CNY 2,499~32 Compute Units~About 236 mm2~64MB Infinity Cache~128-bit 16Gbps GDDR6 with 8GB VRAM— Yuko Yoshida (@KittyYYuko) March 18, 2021

As for the code name listed, “Dimgray Cavefish” would suggest that these Radeon RX 6600 or Radeon RX 6500 Series graphics cards will leverage red...

Continue reading...

I truly dont get this. Cant make enough of what they are already selling so lets add more things they cant ship? Unless they use different key parts not in short supply. Even then doesnt work for me or anyone else at 4k.

I truly dont get this. Cant make enough of what they are already selling so lets add more things they cant ship? Unless they use different key parts not in short supply. Even then doesnt work for me or anyone else at 4k.
I dunno.

I get what you are saying. But at the same time, I'm glad to see the generational product line finally get filled out, especially since you can get a lot more GPUs per wafer on the smaller dies that the lower tiers tend to use.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't start with the lower tiers for that reason alone, but I think both colors wanted to bring out their big guns up front. They have certainly started with lower tiers in previous generations (both AMD and nVidia).

Also..
Dimgrey Cavefish

I think they must have low internal expectations.

These things are planned out way ahead of time, the timing of producing the actual silicon, to PCBs, to components, to memory allocation, sending hardware to add-in-board partners, building the cards, distribution, aligning the launch with etailers and retailers, and doing it all world wide. Unless they just pull the whole thing, things are already set in motion a long time ago for these launches.

Plus, it makes sense, the RX 6000 series is a series of GPUs, they have a plan from top to bottom, they can't hold it back forever without delaying the next series, so it just has to happen.

According to Steam the 1060 is still the #1 card, and 1920x1080 is still the #1 resolution by a huge amount.

So, these mid tier cards are perfect upgrades for both of those segments.

IF you can buy one. IF.

According to Steam the 1060 is still the #1 card, and 1920x1080 is still the #1 resolution by a huge amount.

So, these mid tier cards are perfect upgrades for both of those segments.

IF you can buy one. IF.
Also keep in mind, the 1060 had an original MSRP of $250. We don’t have anything this generation that MSRPs under $330 right now, let alone actual costs.

I think it may be a while before the 1060 gets dethroned.

These things are planned out way ahead of time, the timing of producing the actual silicon, to PCBs, to components, to memory allocation, sending hardware to add-in-board partners, building the cards, distribution, aligning the launch with etailers and retailers, and doing it all world wide. Unless they just pull the whole thing, things are already set in motion a long time ago for these launches.

Plus, it makes sense, the RX 6000 series is a series of GPUs, they have a plan from top to bottom, they can't hold it back forever without delaying the next series, so it just has to happen.

At this point with this sell through, unless the newer cards are both cheaper and easier to make they need to focus on refining the process on this generation and get the cards in market for a decent price. Once the market has ingested all they can stand to make numbers, THEN scale back production and look to make a new generation of cards.

Anyone with supply chain thought will buy into this. I don't care if they have to order pallets of cards, then trickle them out to vendors and consumers. Jumping to the next gen at the same pace of the past decade will be a mistake.

At this point with this sell through, unless the newer cards are both cheaper and easier to make they need to focus on refining the process on this generation and get the cards in market for a decent price. Once the market has ingested all they can stand to make numbers, THEN scale back production and look to make a new generation of cards.

Anyone with supply chain thought will buy into this. I don't care if they have to order pallets of cards, then trickle them out to vendors and consumers. Jumping to the next gen at the same pace of the past decade will be a mistake.

party-playlist-suggestions-fatboy-slim-1024x578.png

I don't get this meme comment. Care to explain it?

They sell everything they can make in seconds, why change anything?

The way I see it is the only way there is going to be inventory with a new graphics card lauch if it is a refresh, or like the nvidia 2000 series where the jump in old tech is smallish and the new tech is not yet widely adopted and comes with a serious performance hit.

The biggest downside atm here in Europe is that the stores themselves are now scalping, selling cards at +50% or more over msrp

Become a Patron!
Back