AMD Ryzen 7 5700 Described as “Anti-Consumer” and “Borderline Scammy”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD may be misleading customers with the Ryzen 7 5700, according to a new review that claims the new Zen 3 CPU is not only "anti-consumer," but also "borderline scammy."

See full article...

AMD should have added a unique suffix or some other qualifier to denote that this part is a GPU-less APU.

Why would anyone expect the 5700 to have a GPU? That isn't a model run that has integrated GPU's. Never has been. Also the specs are clear. Just because someone doesn't read doesn't make it freaking scammy.

That's like saying the motorcycle shop didn't make me wear a helmet when I bought my bike and I smashed my head and lost 40 IQ. I'm suing them. Because it was scammy not to tell me.

Or what's a better one... Oh I know.

I bout a WRX and it's slower than the WRX GTI. Why is that it's only more letters! SCAM!!!

Why would anyone expect the 5700 to have a GPU? That isn't a model run that has integrated GPU's. Never has been. Also the specs are clear. Just because someone doesn't read doesn't make it freaking scammy.

That's like saying the motorcycle shop didn't make me wear a helmet when I bought my bike and I smashed my head and lost 40 IQ. I'm suing them. Because it was scammy not to tell me.

Or what's a better one... Oh I know.

I bout a WRX and it's slower than the WRX GTI. Why is that it's only more letters! SCAM!!!
Why didn't you read the article?

The issues are:
  • the '5700' name looks a lot like '5800' and '5600', which both exist and are down-clocked versions of their X variants, all chiplet parts with 32MB or L3
  • the 5700 has half the L3 cache of the 5800 and 5600 at 16MB
  • the 5700, like the 5700G, only supports PCIe 3.0
There's a reason that every major 'tuber has called AMD out on this one.

but, but AMD is the good guy right? They wouldn't do that, ngreedia and Inhell are the villains... right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have to say just because someone ASSUMED what the part was doesn't make it wrong to have the part be different as long as it's clear EVERYWHERE that it is what it is.

Like if Porcha released a 911 that as a 4 cylinder hybrid and called at a 911e4.

I have to say just because someone ASSUMED what the part was doesn't make it wrong to have the part be different as long as it's clear EVERYWHERE that it is what it is.
Which is the problem: they called it the '5700', thus making it very much not 'clear'.

Which is the problem: they called it the '5700', thus making it very much not 'clear'.
Is that part number the same as any other in their lineup? Are the specs published and easily available? Even on the box?

Because a consumer made a decision they were WILLFULLY uninformed about doesn't make it a scam.

Sure it's seems weird to call it a 5700 when it has more in common with a 2000 or 3000 series part... is off. But that's been par for the course for a VERY long time now.

It has it's own model nr, up to the consumer to see what differences that entails. AMD and other chipmakeers do this kind of strange stuff all the time.

Based on this thread controversial does seem to be pretty clear.

IMO

AMD could have better labeled things, I need to ask though, when has it ever been ok in the computer world to not fully research any piece or part by brand and model number before even considering buying.

Most of us here in FPS Review have significantly more powerful systems and can speak to why we selected each compensate of our self-built systems, or why we chose box x from vendor y. Sometimes a warranty is worth it.

I guess another way, for me anyhow, to look at this is you cant fix stupid, -or- lazy, -or- ignorant. I hazard a guess a few non-enlightened by a hobby in computer building, have #1 or #2 and many have #3 (which is nothing to be ashamed about or shamed for - we all have topics we are ignorant with). What I am getting at is AMD could release a white paper on every CPU including the 5700 variants and some people would still be confused and crying fowl.

IMHO

Not an issue - learn to read and look up the words you dont understand.

ps - boy I am grumpy today. Maybe I should go jump in a virtual world for a while. New World, (the) Secret World & Secret World Legends, Palworld, Open World Best, World of Tanks, World War Z, Two Worlds I & II, World in Conflict, World Soccer Winning 11, and of course the massive king of them all World of Warcraft. Which shall earn my grumpyness of the day? Note I dont own all of these but do have some, er well 50% of them.

Become a Patron!
Back