AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12C/24T, Zen 3) Reportedly Boasts 20 Percent IPC Improvement, Boosts to 5 GHz

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-ryzen-badge-circle-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

YouTube channel PC-WELT (via Wccftech) has shared alleged specifications for AMD’s Ryzen 9 5900X, a Zen 3-based processor leveraging 12 cores and 24 threads. If the rumors are to be believed, red team has made great strides in both performance and efficiency.

The report claims that AMD has figured out how to improve IPC by as much as 20 percent, an achievement that’s reflected by the Ryzen 9 5900X’s alleged ability to hit boost clocks as high 5 GHz. That’s a healthy 300 MHz increase over the Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 9 3950X , and Ryzen 7 3800XT’s 4.7 GHz.

The performance gains come at the cost of a substantial bump in power ratings, however. AMD’s Ryzen 9 5900X will supposedly feature a 150-watt TDP – 45 watts higher than the Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 9...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh its made up until reviewed.
Hype trains seem to now be like community created, the companies don't even have to bother much, or even not at all, and hype trains are created regardless.
The funny thing is after, when reality sets in and its way less ipc or whatever, people are upset ' AMD didn't deliver' .... When they didn't even promise. And 20% ipc in ANY application seems excessive let alone several or some such. It would be fantastic to be 5 to 10 with no clock regression and better if clock increased of course... I mean 20 cmon.

I'm with you @Uvilla. Marketing bullshit as far as I'm concerned. Let Dan get his hands on a Zen3 part, and we'll see what IPC gains we're going to get.

I'm being lazy about AMD CPU's and just pick up the previous gen when the new one launches, For my use it makes little difference.

I might however build a full PCIe 4 system this winter. Just because. M-ITX as usual.

It's WCCF Tech. Come back again when you have a credible source please.

And 20% ipc in ANY application seems excessive let alone several or some such. It would be fantastic to be 5 to 10 with no clock regression and better if clock increased of course... I mean 20 cmon.
Tsing did keep the 'up to' wording in there.

But the other part to consider is that the use of 'IPC' seems to be alluding to single-core performance, not 'Instructions Per Clock', since they're counting clockspeed increases as part of the uplift.

The other annoyance is that they're talking about boost clocks which alone are relatively meaningless. At least the part about increased TDP is a positive indicator of increased performance!

Become a Patron!
Back