AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D ($799), Ryzen 9 7900X3D ($549), and Ryzen 7 7800X3D ($449) Processors with Up to 192 MB of L3 Cache Tipped for January 2023 Lau...

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD is planning to announce at least three Ryzen 7000X3D Series processors relatively soon, according to a new video shared by South Korea's Quasarzone and tweets from All The Watts!! that allude to the release of the Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Ryzen 9 7900X3D, and Ryzen 7 7800X3D, new CPUs featuring red team's innovative 3D stacking technology for enabling what should be improved performance in gaming and other applications.

See full article...

Yeah, AMD has lost their freaking minds but... YAY! It's cool now to run at a steady 95°c+ and its users shouldn't have to care about their CPU's metal gates and oxide layer eroding... super fast! Just... buy up! /s 😂 😏 👎

Have you heard whether they have one on the way?

Supposedly it'll start shipping this month. It's a $900 board/block combo though so it ain't cheap. But I like that it also cools the m.2 slots with the monoblock. Couldn't find any other that does this on AM5.

Do any m2 drives actually need archive cooling, let alone water cooling?

I’m also very interested in the 7950x3d, but I just bought a 7950, so probably not upgrading anytime soon

Do any m2 drives actually need archive cooling, let alone water cooling?

I’m also very interested in the 7950x3d, but I just bought a 7950, so probably not upgrading anytime soon
The newer drives do benefit from running cooler because they get hot that it actually throttles their throughput.

The newer drives do benefit from running cooler because they get hot that it actually throttles their throughput.
Yeah but do you need ~active~ cooling.

I could see if you have an SSD crammed underneath a motherboard where it can't get any air flow, or if you have them stacked in tightly in some sort of array or on a daughter card, or if it's in an environment where it's getting hammered non-stop.

But normal SSD placement, where it's able to get just a modest amount of air past a passive cooler, should be fine for mere mortals - and they should actually be ok (not optimal, but not Chernobyl) even without a passive cooler at all.

Hmm, price/perf will be interesting between the 8 and 12 core given those prices. It could be a repeat of Zen3.

Yeah but do you need ~active~ cooling.

I could see if you have an SSD crammed underneath a motherboard where it can't get any air flow, or if you have them stacked in tightly in some sort of array or on a daughter card, or if it's in an environment where it's getting hammered non-stop.

But normal SSD placement, where it's able to get just a modest amount of air past a passive cooler, should be fine for mere mortals - and they should actually be ok (not optimal, but not Chernobyl) even without a passive cooler at all.

[/URL]
Dunno. My Aorus board came with heatsinks for the m.2 slots. They seem to do their job. How well, who knows. There's no temp monitoring for m.2 drives.

This is kind of like watercooling RAM - main reason to do it is that you'd already have a loop in there, and the alternative is to rig a fan solution so why not?

(there are many reasons "why not")

Dunno. My Aorus board came with heatsinks for the m.2 slots. They seem to do their job. How well, who knows. There's no temp monitoring for m.2 drives.
Sure about that? I've seen all kinds of temp monitoring from M.2 drives. Tried HWINFO64 etc.?

Supposedly it'll start shipping this month. It's a $900 board/block combo though so it ain't cheap. But I like that it also cools the m.2 slots with the monoblock. Couldn't find any other that does this on AM5.
Found it!

The Carbon is MSIs top 'gaming' board, in their 'MPG' tier. You go any higher, to the Unify / ACE / Godlike and you're getting into XOC (extreme overclocking, i.e. LN2 and dry ice) and / or just getting stuff like USB4 (TB4) and / or 10Gbit networking built in.

It'd definitely be my go to for a 'pure' gaming system with tweaking in mind, especially as part of a custom loop.

As for the price - well that's another story. Neither the VRMs nor the SSDs actually need active cooling, water or otherwise, and current Zen 4 CPUs lack the memory controller needed to push much above 6000MT/s, so RAM wouldn't need active cooling either.

Biggest problem though is that stupid IHS design AMD went with to ensure AM4 cooler compatibility. Any serious overclocking is going to involve delidding and running direct-die cooling, and no monoblock is going to be able to work with that.

All that said - if I wanted a 'set it and forget it' solution for say an R9 7950X3D, well, this is the board I'd use.

and the alternative is to rig a fan solution so why not?
Well - I completely agree with the "why not" aspect when you are running a custom loop: it adds negligible heat load, only costs a block and a bit of tubing, not really any extra effort.

I just don't know that the only alternative is rigging a fan... most every SSD I've seen has either no cooler, or a passive cooler. And outside of some extreme circumstances, I don't see that people in most situations are going to ~need~ active cooling - even on an enthusiast rig. But, as you say, if you are running a loop - why not, but it isn't like it needs it. Reminds me of the old jackets for HDDs and the RAM coolers -- sure, why not, but it'll run just fine without it too.

Specifically for top-end SSDs - ones that push the limits of PCIe 4.0 x4 and PCIe 5.0 x4 - I could see the desire to get them actively cooled. This assumes that they're being thoroughly abused, but if the performance is a workload enhancer, I get it.

For RAM, with DDR5, some form of active cooling approaches a 'must have' if overclocking, or even just using some of the more aggressive XMP / EXPO kits. Not particularly useful for AMD Zen 4 CPUs at this time, but newer Intel kit can certainly push memory into heat-limited territory.

I'm on a boat right now in the gulf of Mexico, but if I don't forget when I return I'll dig up the article for the newer Gen4 or Gen5 SSDs that even under regular heatsinks get hot enough to throttle throughputs.

I'm on a boat right now in the gulf of Mexico, but if I don't forget when I return I'll dig up the article for the newer Gen4 or Gen5 SSDs that even under regular heatsinks get hot enough to throttle throughputs.
How much active use does it take to hit that point? Additionally, I thought for all practical home PC uses, the 970 pro was the best performing option because of the lower latency of MLC vs TLC?

Become a Patron!
Back