AMD Switching to Open-Air Reference Design for Next-Gen Radeon GPUs: No More Loud Blower

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
radeon-5700-ridges.jpg
Image: AMD

A lot of Radeon fans hate the fact that the RX 5000-series reference cards utilize a blower design, which is traditionally louder and less effective than open air. That shouldn’t be a concern for AMD’s next lineup of in-house GPUs, however.

Scott Herkelman, Vice President and General Manager of the Radeon graphics unit, has confirmed on reddit that the Radeon team has switched away from blower fans. While there’s nothing stopping AIBs from sticking with those, AMD is going with an open-air design based on community feedback.

Comment from discussion scottherkelman’s comment from discussion "Big Navi...

[url=https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/03/06/amd-switching-to-open-air-reference-design-for-its-next-gen-radeon-gpu-no-more-loud-blower/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can see the new design looks a lot like a nvidia Founders Edition shroud.
Anything is better than those leaf-blowers.
But I always say.....waterblocks are the schizzle.

Looking forward to it. The peek at the new shroud is a little gaudy for my tastes. Even though it was a howler, the VII was gorgeous looking.

Just sell me a card without a cooler on it at all. I'll provide my own waterblock.

K, thx.

Just sell me a card without a cooler on it at all. I'll provide my own waterblock.

K, thx.

I wish factory watercooled cards were more reasonably priced.

Become a Patron!
Back