AMD Will Increase Ryzen 7 9700X and Ryzen 5 9600X TDP from 65 to 105 Watts via AGESA 1.2.0.1a BIOS Update, It’s Claimed

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Ryzen 7 9700X and Ryzen 5 9600X, two new Zen 5 desktop processors that AMD launched for the AM5 platform on August 15 for $359 and $279, respectively, will be getting new specifications soon, according to an insider who claims AGESA 1.2.0.1a, a new and incoming BIOS update, is set to increase the TDPs of these CPUs from 65 watts to 105 watts.

See full article...

I wonder if this warrants all new testing.

Would have been nice if they had just launched them with this setting.

Still, you could probably preview what performance will be like by just enabling PBO.

In some rare cases, you might see a big performance increase, but the 20% that was bandied about by many (I think Der8auer was responsible for this) is probably false. We are likely talking between 0 and 2% improvement in most cases.

I wonder if this warrants all new testing.

Would have been nice if they had just launched them with this setting.

Still, you could probably preview what performance will be like by just enabling PBO.

In some rare cases, you might see a big performance increase, but the 20% that was bandied about by many (I think Der8auer was responsible for this) is probably false. We are likely talking between 0 and 2% improvement in most cases.
I don't know where that 20% figure comes from but that's beyond wishful thinking. The problem with focusing on performance-per-watt and energy efficiency is that for the most part, desktop users don't care about that. They want performance. The fact that a CPU comes in at almost the same performance of its predecessor with a reduced TDP makes the processor less than compelling.

I don't want a CPU that performs the same at lower power. I want a CPU that performs better at the same or lower power level. If I want to gimp my CPU by undervolting it for power savings that should be on me.

I really don't care about how much power a CPU uses outside of a mobile/laptop setup. My shizz is plugged in, give me all the beans!

I don't know where that 20% figure comes from but that's beyond wishful thinking. The problem with focusing on performance-per-watt and energy efficiency is that for the most part, desktop users don't care about that. They want performance. The fact that a CPU comes in at almost the same performance of its predecessor with a reduced TDP makes the processor less than compelling.
I really want both. I want power efficient and maximum performance per watt when I’m just running distributed computing. But when I’m gaming, I want full performance regardless of power. AMD has been close, but I have to reboot to switch between eco mode and full over drive. If I could just flip a switch, it would be perfect

Become a Patron!
Back