Analyst: PlayStation 5 to Sell 66 Million by 2024, 37 Million for Xbox Series X

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-5-console-logo-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Is Microsoft in for another tough console generation? That’s what analysts seem to believe, as many have hedged their bets on the newly unveiled PlayStation 5 already. Ampere Analysis’s Piers Harding-Rolls (via GamesIndustry.biz), for one, has released a report that predicts Sony’s next-generation console selling as many as 66 million units by the end of 2024. On the other, more disappointing hand, Microsoft is expected to shift only 37 million Xbox Series X systems.

ampere-analysis-xbox-series-x-playstation-5-sales.jpg
Image: Ampere Analysis

At such an early stage, we can only assume that...

Continue reading...

I think it's going to be much closer than what it was during PS4 vs Xbone. It's going to come down to software and I think MS investments in first party studios will come to fruition soon. Throw a decent library of exclusives and continued investment into Game Pass and you've got a winning combination.

However, I do think PS5 will still be number 1 - just not by the big landslide it was this last generation.

It's all about the games. So we'll see what happens. MS can pound their chest with specs and numbers, but it matters not if there isn't anything exclusive worth playing. Otherwise just stick to PC.

*edit - oh well price does factor in as well. But everything I'm reading so far says prices are going to be similar between the 2... expensive.

Become a Patron!
Back