Apple Has Agreed to Pay Up to Half a Billion Dollars for Slowing Down Older iPhone Models

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
apple-iphone-se-rose-gold-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

Apple’s (alleged) plan for forced obsolescence hasn’t worked out well for the company.

According to a settlement filed in a California court, Apple has agreed to pay $500 million for throttling older iPhone models. That money will go toward affected owners, who will be rewarded with $25 per device – give or take.

“Friday’s settlement covers U.S. owners of the iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus, or SE that ran the iOS 10.2.1 or later operating system. It also covers U.S. owners of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus that ran iOS 11.2 or later before Dec. 21, 2017,” reported Reuters.

Apple insists that it didn’t do anything wrong and only agreed to settle to end what had already become years of legislation. (The first lawsuit was filed way back in 2017.)

At the onset of...

Continue reading...

Attorneys are the real winners, as they should be.
500 million still chump change, and still propably way less than what they made.
All of this would have been avoided if they weren't secretive about this... By being secretive, the intention is obvious to me.
This disposable mentality must end.

Probably the first time I’ve seen anyone side with the lawyers

Can’t wait to see my check for $25 from this settlement... :/

Less than one half of one percent of the tech giants value. They've lost more in one day of stock trades because of Corona virus.

I'm glad they got hit with this, but as others have said it isn't enough.

So how do you claim the money?

On your Iphone 3g access the website...

Oh you got rid of that? So you're not one of the represented people.

Thank you, please have a nice day.

Just when you think you're out of reasons to hate Apple.

My wife asked me about this a few days ago and I laughed at her saying, "not even Apple would stoop that low and it wouldn't even be worth the effort". Boy was I wrong.

Just when you think you're out of reasons to hate Apple.

My wife asked me about this a few days ago and I laughed at her saying, "not even Apple would stoop that low and it wouldn't even be worth the effort". Boy was I wrong.

I was kidding and completely talking out of my ***. Sorry I didn't use a /Sarcasam flag.

On your Iphone 3g access the website...

Oh you got rid of that? So you're not one of the represented people.

Thank you, please have a nice day.

What about the 3G S and can I use wifi? No carrier service for it. lol

This is so dumb.

People who know me know I am the biggest Apple hater, but this design feature actually made sense.

As batteries age, there is a chance that they cannot provide the required current, and of this happens, random crashes or restarts occur. Apple made their devices more reliable by monitoring battery wear and slowing down (reducing power use) the phone to avoid restarts and crashes.

If you replace the battery the thing comes roaring back, and is as fast as it ever was.

It was the right thing to do. I wish every battery powered device did this.

There are so many things Apple should pay atonement for, but this is just not one of them.

Probably would have helped if they were more transparent about it though. Lack of transparency is Apple's biggest flaw. They need to stop treating their users like idiots and provide the full tech details and advanced settings in their devices.

Become a Patron!
Back