Apple MacBook Pro with M1 Chip Can Now Run Cyberpunk 2077 at 14 FPS on Ultra Settings

What about that brand Linus of ltt is invested in. Seems interesting and has some of those upgradable features that are neat.

I'm not sure what Linus invests in. I don't exactly follow him.

Are we talking Framework?

Framework seems pretty cool, but they still use those god awful Chiclet/Island keyboards in the style Apple introduced ages back, and then everyone copied in the name of "thin devices".

I don't see myself ever buying a laptop with that style keyboard. I don't want to have to lug around a separate keyboard I like just to use my laptop, and I don't use my laptops for stationary things. I use my desktop for that.

Give me this:

1686338038687.png

Not this:

iu

The latter is **** near unusable.

If apple wants to increase its footprint give me native dx 12 support on the m series cpus
Hmm...

I thought about this some more. I think the best thing Apple could do here is bring back Bootcamp, with the ARM version of Windows.

If you were to just support DX12, you still have all the issues of cross-OS translation in addition to x86->ARM issues. If you support ARM Windows, then you just have the x86->ARM, and running Microsoft's emulation layer. IDK if it's better or worse than Apple's Rosetta, but it gets profiled with DX titles and all the native Windows APIs, and you can use the native Windows development tools for implementation and profiling - so likely less friction with the conversion.

That would also be in Microsoft's best interest - it would be, in a single stroke, a huge jump in MS ARM capable hardware user base, and they would get to sell/support full Windows licenses to the end users (in addition to whatever they are charging Apple for official "Bootcamp" support). Whereas if they just license DirectX, that's all the money Microsoft gets. Right now, using Crossover-based solution, Microsoft gets... nil.

Just supporting DirectX - meh, take it or leave it. Might be for the best that it is using a DIrectX->Metal translator, because the Mx silicon and Metal were designed to go hand in hand.

Become a Patron!
Back