Apple Planning Mac Pro Desktop with In-House Processor and 40 Cores for 2022

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
apple-mac-pro-pro-display-xdr-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

Apple has been busy distancing itself from Intel and replacing all of its Mac computers with in-house processors based on ARM technology. According to a new report from Bloomberg, one of these will be a new Mac Pro desktop computer that features a CPU with up to 40 mixed cores (32 high-performance cores, eight high-efficiency cores)—a substantial increase over Intel’s 28-core Mac Pro chips. These next-generation Mac Pro desktops are also said to feature up to 128 graphics cores and echo the design of the current model.

Apple plans to release several new Mac laptops and desktops with faster processors, new designs and improved connectivity to external devices https://t.co/ywp4bxInVt— Bloomberg (@business) May 18, 2021

The new...

Continue reading...

Semi-related, my 2013 15” MBP started to get chunky: the battery started swelling, the trackpad doesn’t click any more, and it won’t sit flat on the desk any more.

I was hoping to wait until the new Apple Silicon 16” models came out - but the swelling is now so bad I can’t use it, so I ordered a 13” M1. It came in a couple days ago.

It’s much faster than the old Ivy Bridge, but I don’t know if the comparison is really that valid given the age difference. I don’t really have anything semi-modern to even compare it too.

I do like that it’s about the same size as my iPad, and likewise is silent, but has a full keyboard and trackpad. I need to get used to virtual desktops since the monitor is a good deal smaller than I’m used to, but it’s usable.

I haven’t pushed it hard yet. I also haven’t even needed to charge the thing yet. After a couple of days of email and web research it’s still at 50% from full charge.

The M1 is 4+4 - Big/little setup. I can’t tell when something is on a particular core - there is probably a CLI tool that would show it though. It did take a bit to get Apache / PHP / Maria running on it for some web tools I work on, but it wasn’t impossible. Most major programs have native versions, and the handful that don’t are transparent and I can’t really see a huge performance hit on it.

40 cores would be … fun.

I'm down to wondering, 'will it run Crysis?'.

Gaming's the last frontier of consumer computing and when Apple has those ducks in a row, we're in for some wild changes!

The M1 is 4+4 - Big/little setup. I can’t tell when something is on a particular core - there is probably a CLI tool that would show it though. It did take a bit to get Apache / PHP / Maria running on it for some web tools I work on, but it wasn’t impossible. Most major programs have native versions, and the handful that don’t are transparent and I can’t really see a huge performance hit on it.

40 cores would be … fun.
I looked at the new iMacs today; specifically seeing how you can get them VESA mount ready. I'd be willing to replace my wife's desktop with one of those. You know, if I were to live through it!

Become a Patron!
Back