ASRock Launches Industry’s First ATX12VO Motherboard, the Z490 Phantom Gaming 4SR

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
asrock-z490-phantom-gaming-4sr-angled-closer-1024x576.jpg
Image: ASRock

It isn’t clear how quickly Intel’s new power standard will be adopted by builders, but ASRock has gone ahead and dived right in with its Z490 Phantom Gaming 4SR – the world’s first ATX12VO (12-volt only) motherboard. Unlike the traditional 12V spec, ATX12VO calls for new PSUs that utilize a single 12V rail, with 3.3V and 5V responsibilities (e.g., powering storage drives) shifted over to the motherboard. The result, Intel claims, is a reduction in idle power by as much as 27 percent.

These design changes are easily spotted on...

Continue reading...

I’m not opposed to the idea. Some big PSU OEMs on there. I’d feel a lot better seeing Seasonic on the list, but eh.

Proof will be in the pudding I suppose. I don’t think efficiency gains will be huge, but the mark keeps inching forward.

FSP had a unit at CES in their booth. I may have a picture of it around here somewhere...

I don't understand why it would be more efficient for the motherboard to pull down 12V to 5v and 3.3v for drives and other accessories than it would be for the PSU to do it?

Could anyone who understands this explain?

I don't understand why it would be more efficient for the motherboard to pull down 12V to 5v and 3.3v for drives and other accessories than it would be for the PSU to do it?

Could anyone who understands this explain?

I'd think it's more about shifting costs from the PSU side to the board side. Paging @Paul_Johnson to see if he's got any thoughts....

I'm not a EE, but I do a lot of power projects for work.

A single rail with IC controlled regulation on the motherboard lets you be highly efficient once on a single rail, and then you can program software to do a lot of the efficiency work for you with programmable regulation on the motherboard. You can pretty tightly know what the load is going to be on that single rail - efficiency isn't a static number, it varies over load, and how that variation looks over the load curve can be somewhat tailored at design time - if you know your going to be at few basic discrete states (sleep, idle, load), you can target those few states on a single rail, rather than trying to do that per rail, multipling the number of states you need to be targeting.

I don't think it's much on efficiency, but a percent or two adds up over thousands of units and thousands of hours, and that's what government regulations will be targeting by creating and enforcing energy efficiency standards.

With 3 different voltage rails, you have to be efficient 3 times, and those 3 rails can all vary independently. The 3.3/5V rails don't get used all that much any more anyway - motherboards and GPUs already contain a good deal of their own regulation already, so the incremental cost on a motherboard is pretty slim.

Your shifting cost, that much is true, but I think the net, once you get past economy of scale issues and the fact that existing ATX PSU is a commodity item, is positive. PSUs will have a lot less complexity and can focus on just doing one thing really well: providing more RGB lighting and OLED status screens.

I'm not a EE, but I do a lot of power projects for work.

A single rail with IC controlled regulation on the motherboard lets you be highly efficient once on a single rail, and then you can program software to do a lot of the efficiency work for you with programmable regulation on the motherboard. You can pretty tightly know what the load is going to be on that single rail - efficiency isn't a static number, it varies over load, and how that variation looks over the load curve can be somewhat tailored at design time - if you know your going to be at few basic discrete states (sleep, idle, load), you can target those few states on a single rail, rather than trying to do that per rail, multipling the number of states you need to be targeting.

I don't think it's much on efficiency, but a percent or two adds up over thousands of units and thousands of hours, and that's what government regulations will be targeting by creating and enforcing energy efficiency standards.

With 3 different voltage rails, you have to be efficient 3 times, and those 3 rails can all vary independently. The 3.3/5V rails don't get used all that much any more anyway - motherboards and GPUs already contain a good deal of their own regulation already, so the incremental cost on a motherboard is pretty slim.

Your shifting cost, that much is true, but I think the net, once you get past economy of scale issues and the fact that existing ATX PSU is a commodity item, is positive. PSUs will have a lot less complexity and can focus on just doing one thing really well: providing more RGB lighting and OLED status screens.

Interesting.

Come to think of it,the PC's I've built that have the best idle power efficiency (single digit watts from the wall) used this principle (in a slightly different way).

I have a few HTPC's and a pfSense router I built using MiniBox PicoPSU power supplies, which utilize an external single rail 12V power brick, and then use this little "Power Supply" to pull down power as needed to 5V and 3.3V.

1588345399043.png

They are perfect for a small build and super efficient.

For my HTPC's and pfSense router I used the smallest 60W kit.

I also built a desktop for my Fiance using their largest kit.

The numbers are a bit low, but for systems with just a single SSD and a low wattage version of a CPU, they work great.

Become a Patron!
Back