ASRock Radeon RX 5700XT Crisis Averted!

ThreeDee

Semi-regular
I just got my shiny new Ryzen 7 3700x and running it on an ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC .. running great with my filler Zotac GTX 1060 filler card.

I just got my shiny new ASRock brand RX5700 XT today and popped it in ..

First I uninstalled Nvidia drivers .. then ran Driver Sweeper from Guru3D to remove all things nvidia .. turned off system and then inserted the 5700XT

Booted up and proceeded to install the new AMD drivers .. they installed and then my screen went green .. I could still see everything but it had a horrible green hue to it and then my monitors went dark and the system rebooted itself.

I'll save you the hassle of reading all my trouble shooting steps and what not with the constant reboots ..etc ..etc ..

It was mentioned that users trying to play Destiny 2 couldn't until you turned some BIOS setting to manually use PCIe 3.0 instead of 4.0.
I don't have settings marked that specifically .. on my board it's marked PCIe Gen1, Gen2 or auto. Mine were set at auto. I manually changed 2 different settings that had those Gen1,Gen2 or Auto settings to Gen2 and now I'm up and running playing Hunt:Showdown without issue .. no reboots and all that jazz.

I was really close to sending this video card back to Newegg .. I'm glad I read these and other forums and by God .. I'm not a Quitter!! :giggle:

anyways .. it seems that my motherboard was having trouble figuring out the PCIe settings with it set to Auto .. so hopefully a BIOS update will correct that and hopefully this post will help others if they run into this same problem with this or any other PCIe 4.0 card(s)

Last edited:
In more experimenting .. I only have to set the setting PBS x16 switch to Gen2 to stop the reboots. Apparently, between the PCIe 4.0 card and my x470's PCIe 3.0 .. between the 2 "they" can't figure out how to play nice with each other so for now I am stuck on PCIe 2.0 (Gen 2 settings as there is currently no Gen 3 setting, only Gen 1/Gen 2/Auto) until ASRock updates their BIOS's for either their 5700xt or their X470 Master SLI/ac mobo ..or both so "they" can at least settle on PCIe 3.0 if ASRock doesn't give my motherboard PCIe 4.0 functionality.

The current BIOS is probably why your having the PCIe negotiation issues. This is the exact issue that ASUS had which caused them to pull their most recent updates using AGESA 1.0.0.3 patch ABA.

Become a Patron!
Back