ASUS ROG Announces Azoth Extreme Gaming Keyboard with Aluminum Alloy Chassis and Full-Color OLED Touchscreen

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Azoth Extreme, a custom 75% gaming keyboard that boasts a number of premium features, including a full aluminum alloy chassis and full-color OLED touchscreen with three-way control knob, is coming soon, ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) has announced.

See full article...

Aaahhh, keyboards with screens. Takes me back to my days using a Logitech G15.

Aaahhh, keyboards with screens. Takes me back to my days using a Logitech G15.
I still have one - utility is pretty limited though, these days, and it's usually easier to just get a small screen below your main monitor if that's something you're looking for.

And still no freaking ten key. I think I'm just old. But I love my 10 key.
I NEED a numpad and a normal layout for Insert | Home | Page Up | Delete | End | Page Down. Not a real keyboard to me if it is missing those.

I still have one
Both of mine died. Well, the screens did. But I was over membrane keyboards anyways.

I keep a separate 10-key on the right side of my mouse, and like @DrezKill I need that navigation block right where it's always been.

So, tenkeyless (TKL) + separate 10-key works pretty well. These more compact layouts can work for some things of course, but productivity usually isn't one of them!

20240602_140557 copy.jpg20240602_140755 copy.jpg

Here's some shots from Computex. The switch on the bottom is what controls the gasket mount to allow for customization of amount of key travel. I've got a video recorded somewhere (should look into publishing) that shows the differences between the modes. This is a pretty heavy keyboard.

I keep a separate 10-key on the right side of my mouse, and like @DrezKill I need that navigation block right where it's always been.

So, tenkeyless (TKL) + separate 10-key works pretty well. These more compact layouts can work for some things of course, but productivity usually isn't one of them!

I wont even consider any keyboard that doesnt have the full IBM Enhanced layout. All 104 keys in modern "windows key" configurations.

Well, I mean, I never use the scroll lock key, so **** that one, but the other 103 I insist I have.

My current daily driver is my WASD Keyboards Code (v2? I cant remember) backlit board with Cherry MX Greens (I like the heavy clicky switches) and the optional milled aluminum case, and some cheap replacement double shot PBT keycaps from Amazon.

The aluminum case is a nicer addition than I expected. It is very solid, makes it more "thocky" and removes any flex while typing. I could also probably defend my home with it, just like the old school Model M's.

1721194131216.png

I am huge fan of this keyboard, but I also can't really believe how much money I actually spent on getting my keyboard just the way I like it...

I also am constantly surprised oat how fast I wear my spacebar (even the PBT ones) shiny. I wish I could buy just the spoacebar for this dolch set.

It's $500!! Man I'm all about paying extra for gamer bling. I buy a new gaming mouse every 4 or 5 months so I ain't judging anyone but $500 for a keyboard? If I could crap cash I would still have a hard time paying that much for a keyboard.

It's $500!! Man I'm all about paying extra for gamer bling. I buy a new gaming mouse every 4 or 5 months so I ain't judging anyone but $500 for a keyboard? If I could crap cash I would still have a hard time paying that much for a keyboard.

Wow, that makes mine feel cheap by comparison.

Today my WASD Keyboards Code V2 with green switches costs $130 + another $135 for the solid milled anodized black aluminum case. Then I paid another $30 for the set of YMDK Dolch-patterned backlit/shine through PBT keycaps on Amazon.

So, grand total for my keyboard setup is $295 today.

This is a little cheaper than when I bought it. Back then there was an option to have the keyboard come with the aluminum case pre-installed (which I can't seem to find now) and that combo cost me $305 + shipping ($334.58 shipped). So back then my total config cost me about $365.

Installing the case is really easy. Just a few screws, so that is not an issue.

As for the YMDK keycaps, I like their feel, sound and their appearance (at least when new) but they don't seem to wear well for PBT keycaps. I've had them installed since mid to late January, and the space bar is already worn a bit shiny where my fingers usually impact it during typing.

The keyboard and case are pretty much my endgame config. As far as caps go - however - I'm casually keeping ym eyes open for good alternatives.

Keycaps can be shocklingly expensive, presumably because injection molding them (if you have the double shot, not printed or dye suyb varieties) requires molding 104 different keys, either with different molds, or the same mold with different inserts. This is going to be labor intensive, and reduces the amount of economies of scale you can achieve. We are used toi plastic parts being mass prosduced and cheap, but for this reason, keycaps cannot meet this expectation, unless you are producing absolutely massive quantities of identical keyboards, which defeats the purpose of the "unique customization" hobby many have.

I wish I could just buy spare color-matched space bars as thats the only key that seems to be wearing shiny for me.

There are feequent group buys for keycaps on places like Drop (previously massdrop) but most of the good quality keycaps I can find from highly reputable vendors are - for some reason - double shot, but not shine through, and I really like my shine through keycaps (with minimal underglow)

Anyway, I digress. Back to work.

Become a Patron!
Back