ASUS Unveils Nine AMD X870/X870E AM5 Motherboards for Ryzen 9000 Series “Zen 5” Processors, including NitroPath DRAM Technology for Faster Memo...

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
ASUS has introduced its first X870E/X870 AM5 motherboards for AMD Ryzen 9000 Series processors, and with it comes the specifications for at least nine models that will be available under the company's ROG, TUF Gaming, Prime, and/or ProArt brands, including the ROG CROSSHAIR X870E HERO, a flagship, AI PC-ready motherboard that is said to be unrivaled for gaming immersion, featuring a robust power solution with 18+2+2 power stages, massive heatsinks integrated with the I/O cover, and other premium features for pushing the limits of Zen 4 and Zen 5 CPUs.

See full article...

If "Nitro Path" works as advertised, it could be quite interesting.

I'm still a little lost on how to best clock AM5 RAM though.

Is it better to go for the best 1:1:1 ratio you can get, and instead focus on timings, OR are there benefits to running asynchronous RAM speeds and going for max clocks?

It seems like DDR5-6400 at a 2133 fabric in 1:1:1 is achievable. Does it make sense to try to go beyond that?

If "Nitro Path" works as advertised, it could be quite interesting.
It seems rather pointless on AMD right now, because:

I'm still a little lost on how to best clock AM5 RAM though.

Is it better to go for the best 1:1:1 ratio you can get, and instead focus on timings, OR are there benefits to running asynchronous RAM speeds and going for max clocks?

It seems like DDR5-6400 at a 2133 fabric in 1:1:1 is achievable. Does it make sense to try to go beyond that?
I'd be leery of exceeding 6000C30 out of pure deference to stability. It's entirely possible to get memory above 8000MT/s on AM5, AMDs memory controller is surprisingly excellent (understanding that it easily runs at 3000MHz, so 1:1 between controller and DRAM at 6000MT/s), however the risk vs. benefit of pushing it higher just doesn't seem to be there, IMO.

The one benefit that I'd like to see explored with 'Nitro Path' would be the possibility of maintaining higher speeds / lower latencies with four DIMMs installed. That'd be the only real selling point of the otherwise super-enthusiast priced Strix-E and Hero X870E boards.

Become a Patron!
Back