Batman Dead? Warner Bros. Montreal Announces Gotham Knights

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gotham-knights-logo-announce-trailer-1024x576.jpg
Image: WB Games Montreal

WB Games has announced what we all knew was coming: a new Batman game based on the critically acclaimed Arkham Trilogy. The latest installment is called Gotham Knights, and what’s really interesting about it is that the Dark Knight isn’t playable. In fact, he’s dead.

Gotham Knights invites players to step into the boots of Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, and Robin instead. As the end of the trailer suggests, they’ll be teaming up against the villainous Court of Owls, which is the group that presumably killed off Batman.

“By now, you will have heard, Batman is dead,” wrote WB Games Montreal. “The knights find themselves all alone to restore order in Gotham and chase infamous villains through the dark alleys and...

Continue reading...

Conceptually, that's not doing it for me. An Arkham game without Batman? Pass.

Conceptually, that's not doing it for me. An Arkham game without Batman? Pass.
It just evokes memories of that horrible Imposters game. The gameplay doesn't look too bad, but the pop up damage numbers has me shaking my head. Makes me think they're trying some sort of GaaS model when it doesn't make sense for a game like this.

I seriously disliked the ending of Arkham Knight. Following up that game with a story that deals with its consequences doesn't appeal to me. Batman Beyond is a better basis for ending / continuing Batman's story. I hate the fact that so much crap borrows from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns story. Frankly, it's the most overrated Batman story I can think of. I like aspects of it, but Bruce faking his death and being publicly outed as Batman isn't something I've ever liked.

Here's a little tidbit about the game: Gotham Knights is *not* a Batman: Arkham Knight Sequel.
https://screenrant.com/gotham-nights-batman-game-arkham-knight/

So if that's the case, and the events of Arkham Knight don't affect this game - why make it about the Bat Family and not Batman himself? Could've done a great standalone Arkham Asylum-style take on the Court of Owls story arc with Batman as the main. I dunno about this one.

I seriously disliked the ending of Arkham Knight. Following up that game with a story that deals with its consequences doesn't appeal to me. Batman Beyond is a better basis for ending / continuing Batman's story. I hate the fact that so much crap borrows from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns story. Frankly, it's the most overrated Batman story I can think of. I like aspects of it, but Bruce faking his death and being publicly outed as Batman isn't something I've ever liked.

Yeah, wasn't a huge fan of it either. Arkham Knight as a whole felt more repetitive to me than the previous games. Asylum, with its more grounded story and compact map is my favourite of the series. City was good, but once the series went more open world, it felt like the laser focus of the first game was lost.

However, I disagree with Dark Knight Returns being overrated. I think it's still one of the strongest Batman stories, just really overdone at this point. Feels like there's been too many attempts to retell a variation of the story.

Yeah, wasn't a huge fan of it either. Arkham Knight as a whole felt more repetitive to me than the previous games. Asylum, with its more grounded story and compact map is my favourite of the series. City was good, but once the series went more open world, it felt like the laser focus of the first game was lost.

However, I disagree with Dark Knight Returns being overrated. I think it's still one of the strongest Batman stories, just really overdone at this point. Feels like there's been too many attempts to retell a variation of the story.

It's terrible in the sense that it portrays many of the characters very poorly and inconsistently. Superman, Green Arrow, etc. just to name a few. How Green Arrow lost his arm is completely retarded, etc. It's not as well written as you'd think or probably as good as most people remember. There are elements about it that stand out as being well done, but it's really not that good. In any case, if we can't agree on that I can certainly agree its over done and over emulated.

Become a Patron!
Back