Big Sur: Apple’s Latest macOS Update Bricking Older MacBook Pro Models

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
apple-macos-big-sur-macbook-pro-redesign-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

If you’re an owner of an older MacBook Pro, you may want to hold off on updating to Apple’s latest version of macOS. An increasing number of users are reporting that the Big Sur update is bricking their devices, many of which were produced in late 2013 and mid 2014.

“I’m getting a black screen with backlight when I power on, can’t enter recovery mode, no startup sound, nothing,” wrote one user on r/MacOS. “Not impressed at all. Apple support tried getting me to reset the PRAM, SMC, etc., and when that didn’t work, they asked me to take it for in-person servicing.”

“I’m experiencing a similar issue,” warned another on the MacRumors forum. “It got stuck on...

Continue reading...

And you just know in person servicing is going to come with a 1000 dollar bill.

And you just know in person servicing is going to come with a 1000 dollar bill.
More than likely the users are gonna be screwed because of the T2 chip having its full drive encryption turned on by default with Apple's previous update. At least this is what I'm calling. Screwed.. Gotta start from scratch..

More than likely the users are gonna be screwed because of the T2 chip having its full drive encryption turned on by default with Apple's previous update. At least this is what I'm calling. Screwed.. Gotta start from scratch..
Time machine has saved me more than once, and the models listed as having issues don’t have a T2 chip. So I guess the lesson is there is no substitute for having backups. It’s not like a Windows update has never went awry...

That said, no issues on my mid-2014 MBP

Time machine has saved me more than once, and the models listed as having issues don’t have a T2 chip. So I guess the lesson is there is no substitute for having backups. It’s not like a Windows update has never went awry...

That said, no issues on my mid-2014 MBP
Who was claiming Microsoft was perfect here?

Who was claiming Microsoft was perfect here?
In @Brian_B's defense, I read sarcasm from his post, and I'm terrible at that...
Lose your Bitlocker key and you're SOL there too. More of a problem of poorly managed corporate domains of course, or those that choose not to use a Microsoft account on their laptop.

Become a Patron!
Back